Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LED upgrade for Surefire G2

Feedback Score

LED upgrade for Surefire G2

I have an older surefire G2 incandescent. It has been spare around the house flashlight since I upgraded the light on my rifle to a G2LED. I'm wanting to put it on a shotgun and am looking at the possibility of upgrading it to LED...

Does anyone have any experience with this (or anything similar)

Cree LED 250 Lumen upgrade

It says "five mode" if I put it in a light with only one mode what will that achieve?
    Last edited by currahee; 05-29-13 at 23:29.
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Subscribing as I have to G2s

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If I may be so bold?

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php

Something to consider if you are going to put an LED into a bezel designed for an incan bulb, is heat buildup. A lot of lower priced LED's depend on a metal bezel to help with that. You can literally fry one to death in a polycarbonate bezel. Ask me how I know......

Gene Malkoff builds LED units that are more expensive than the one you posted, but have a lot of benefits. They tend to have a lot more flood with the same brightness, and handle the heat very well.

I have a Malkoff LED unit in a Surefire shotgun light. It has a really nice flood for an interior room, and will also light up a good sized backyard. It will not cut smoke as well as an incan, but also does not burn up a set of batteries in 20 minutes.

The drawback is that they run about 60 bucks. I'm not sure if that will work into your budget. I recently built up a spare 870 for a home defense loaner, and used an M61 from Gene.

I tried two different LED's like the one you listed. One of them literally came apart during the first range trip. The second was pretty intermittent - it seemed to vary in brightness. But I bought them very cheaply, I think they were 5 bucks or so off fleabay.

I broke down and used the Malkoff after that.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    That drop in is over priced for what it is. Chinese made 800 lumen dropins are available for less.

The modes change by cycling power quickly. So not good for a weapon light.

Maybe consider trying one of these
    http://www.solarforceflashlight-sale...RB&s=40&id=491

Fairly good quality and very cheap.

Maybe get one of these as well
    http://www.solarforceflashlight-sale...FB&s=48&id=513

I have several L2 models and like then all. Though the drop ins I use are custom.......

Feedback Score
    i bought cree led's off Ebay for all 3 of my incandescent G2's.. they all work great.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    +1 on the Malkoffs. Great upgrade!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Malkoff or TNVC are the way to go.

http://tnvc.com/shop/q5-cree-led-drop-in-lamp/
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    It is a cheap Airsoft quality Eotech half ass knockoff- I just had a student with one in a basic class about a month ago and it laid down faster than a cheap hooker

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Malkoff or TNVC are the way to go.

http://tnvc.com/shop/q5-cree-led-drop-in-lamp/
    Is CREE just the diode? because the one I posted a link to said Cree as well...

is there some other difference?
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    For an LED light, you have more components than with a traditional incan.

Most people use Cree LED's these days. In order to power the LED you will have a driver and associated wiring. A cheap driver and wiring could equal lower reliability. Typically the LED itself wont care about recoil.

The Malkov will have the greater durability, but they are a bit behind in the brightness department.

The "Q5" is an older XR-E that only puts out around 200-250 lumens in a tight point. There are a lot newer LED's available with more light and more dispersion.

Heck for $60 primaryarms sells a light with an XML led and about 500 lumens.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Upgrading a G2 is impossible. EVERYTHING sucks about those lights. The switches, the lamps... not worth it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast