Thread: ? Your Thoughts on Microtech's D.O.C. Kill Switch?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

? Your Thoughts on Microtech's D.O.C. Kill Switch?

I have a buddy who is a knife dealer. He is giving me a great price on a Microtech "D.O.C. Kill Switch". Probably the dumbest named knife ever(Death On Contact) but I love the design.

I never dropped the hammer on the manual version because of some serious QC issues and the fact that MT is not known for it's CS. After close inspection, this particular knife is as near perfect as I can determine and has been put aside for me, so I know exactly what I'm getting.

This will, essentially be a "collection" piece as carrying an auto blade is currently an almost black shady spot in OH law. That may change soon but no guaranty of it. So the question is, does anyone here have a D.O.C. in any variation and if so do you like it? Pros/Cons. Thoughts in general?

This the version I have set aside: http://www.bladehq.com/item--Microte...tomatic--24301

The safety is one of the things I like so much about this blade. The tear drop shaped button pivots 180 deg. In the down position it will not fire. In the up position it fires. It requires a simple sweep of the thumb to rotate into the fire position and then moving the switch back to the safe position locks the blade open.

I love a massive bladed folder. Among my favorites are the ZT 0300 and 0560. The DOC certainly snaps open with authority but it's not so fast that it wants to leap out of my hand.

The QC issues that I've seen personally and heard about on the blade forums were mostly grind and late lock up issues. The grind is well done and even on this one and it is not a frame lock.

It sounds like I'm trying to justify a purchase, but that is truly not the case. I'm not locked into this and I am looking for any first hand info on reasons why this might not be a prudent buy. At this point I am looking at it as an investment, not a carry piece.

Feedback Score
    When that spring breaks, it will have to either go back to MT, or you'll have to buy the special bits. Not sure if you can buy the new style bits either.

I wouldn't worry about OH and autos. That is assuming you're not committing some other felony, or you live in Cinci. I'm not a lawyer though.

Personally I hate safeties (reason I wouldn't buy a BM auto), but that's personal preference. I'll stick to waves.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I may go with this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4UkvCfWVak

Feedback Score
    So you're just buying an auto for the novelty?
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you looking to just own it because or are you looking at it as a serious carry knife? If it is in the category of "Because it makes my dick hard." Then rock on. I own a few knives like that. If you are looking for a fast opening knife that is practical I am in agreement with Trajan that the wave feature is the way to go as I personally find it to be both faster and something that personal I feel is more intimidating in most circles since an auto can, in my experience, make someone hesitate, while the knife deploying with a snap as it clears your pocket makes people back the **** up. The safety is also something I am not a fan of, owning a handful of assisted opening and auto knives that have safeties they generally range from a pain in the ass for the ones that can not be fixed hard in the off position, to just annoying to the ones that lock in the off. To painful to the ones that lock in the off position and then auto deploy in your pocket.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just love knives. I have a few that are just collection pieces, not practical for daily use but I like them for some reason. Most of the knives I buy I do carry, at least for a while. I'm not a "knife fighter" and don't want to be. They're tools and I always have one at hand. Hopefully I never have to use a knife in self defense, but there will be one handy if that need ever does arise.

I have a few autos that fall into the collection category at this time due to OH's ridiculous knife laws. That may change and I will move them from collection to the tool status if it does.

Both of the knives in question appeal to me for the same reasons. Both are unique. Both are, for all appearances sturdy hard use knives that would be useful for many applications, including SD.

BTW, I brought the DOC home today. So I guess my original query is moot.

Anyone else looking at the RAT Worx MRX?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The DOC and a couple inexpensive knives that caught my fancy at the Knife and Gun show last weekend.