Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED upgrade for Surefire G2

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Upgrading a G2 is impossible. EVERYTHING sucks about those lights. The switches, the lamps... not worth it.
    The price tag didn't suck. I paid $30 bucks for my first G2 back probably on 05. Finally burnt the bulb up last year in it. I personally am in the same boat as the OP and am just trying to get two flashlights back to being useful.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    The price tag didn't suck. I paid $30 bucks for my first G2 back probably on 05. Finally burnt the bulb up last year in it. I personally am in the same boat as the OP and am just trying to get two flashlights back to being useful.
    Yeah... I have two of the suckers. For house lights, they're ok. They just aren't up to the abuse of anything more than that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I miss affordable Surefires.....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    the surefire upgrades have an aluminum head to deal with heat dissipation.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I've upgraded a few with Malkoff drop ins and they're some of my favorite lights.

Feedback Score
    I got one cheap off Amazon and 80% of the time you have to whack it against your hand a time or 2 to get it to turn on. When it turns on it's got nice light.

I went with drop ins from TNVC for both my Surefires.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you end up upgrading the g2 with a high lumen dropin, the solorforce L2 heads fit perfectly. They are aluminium and help with the heat dissipation, plus they run around 7$.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow50 View Post
    If you end up upgrading the g2 with a high lumen dropin, the solorforce L2 heads fit perfectly. They are aluminium and help with the heat dissipation, plus they run around 7$.
    I can't stress this enough: if you're going to put an LED in a G2, get a metal bezel (head). [edited:] After a short while with the Solarforce heads, I can't recommend them at all. Improper depth on more than one unit caused contact issues that Surefire bezels resolved. Putting a high-output LED in a stock G2 plastic bezel will ruin the unit before long.

The cheap Chinese drop-ins are ok, but that's about it. You'll need to take off the large outer spring to fit it in a G2 or 6P. You can usually adjust them for length by rotating the outer unit/reflector. I had one that I would have to whack to get it to work, adjusting it took care of that.

Yes, Malkoffs use the same CREE LEDs as everyone else. What you get for your money is a much better driver (electronics), proper potting, and a solid brass heatsink. I plan on replacing my cheap eBay-bought drop-ins with Malkoffs soon. Should have gotten Malkoffs to begin with.

From what I've heard, TNVC units are pretty good. I would expect them to be comparable to Malkoffs, but I don't have any personal experience.

Go to eBay for cheap components. Go to www.lighthound.com for some cheap, some better components. Go to Malkoff, TNVC or Overready for the good stuff. If it's for use around the house and yard, cheap is ok. For something you need to depend on, get the good stuff first rather than after you've spent time and money on cheap.

The other PITA part of the G2 is the switch. The McClicky unit replaces the switch inside the tailcap and is well worth the money. Overready sells them pre-installed in replacement Delrin or genuine Surefire tailcaps, as well as separately for you to install yourself. Lighthound also sells them separately.
    Last edited by cynical; 11-06-13 at 10:22. Reason: Solarforce sucked more than was immediately apparent

Feedback Score
    I have had a G2 hanging off the front of my rifle for years and would have a hard time being happier.

I'm just trying to look for an LED upgrade for the older G2 I have (which hung off my rifle for a couple of years already)

So far I'm interested in the TVNC because A) it's a company I have dealt with before and I trust in tactical gear and B) @ 250 lumens it's the LOWEST power- I really only want about 150 lumen. The G2 LED I have only has 80 and has always been enough to ID targets at the ranges I shoot at night.

Another thing I'm looking at is the G2X LED as a replacement in this role (on my shotgun) and just shopping for a replacement bezel later.
    Last edited by currahee; 05-31-13 at 11:24.
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by currahee View Post
    I have had a G2 hanging off the front of my rifle for years and would have a hard time being happier.

I'm just trying to look for an LED upgrade for the older G2 I have (which hung off my rifle for a couple of years already)

So far I'm interested in the TVNC because A) it's a company I have dealt with before and I trust in tactical gear and B) it's the LOWEST power- I really only want about 150 lumen. The G2 LED I have only has 80 and has always been enough to ID targets at the ranges I shoot at night.
    In that case, look at the Surefire KX4 head. One piece, $60 gets you the LED and bezel both. 120 lumens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast