Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Budget (<$75) EDC knife?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I love cheap folders.

Three that I own and enjoy using:

Kershaw Leek
    +1 on the Leek, kershaw shallot is another one of my favorites. Both are super slim.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The Kershaw is very much a gentleman's folder to my eye and I like the Wharnecliff-esque blade profile. I'm not a fan of the "tactical chisels" a lot of folk like to carry and I make a point not to use the pocket clip.

Feedback Score
    Kershaw blur. About $50 and can be found at walmart. It is a little bigger and more utilitarian than a some others but it is built like a tank

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Kershaw Blur

/endthread.exe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had lots of different mid+ range knives including a few customs.

I now feel that if you can't find what you need for under a hundred bucks from Spyderco, Benchmade, or Kershaw, your requirements are not for any kind of general purpose knife.

I carry a plain-jane Endura now. I keep meaning to go to a waved Delica, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edit: And, incidentally, my wife carries a Leek.
    Last edited by misanthropist; 06-01-13 at 21:12. Reason: Because I knew you were all so desperate to know what kind of knife my wife carries.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    http://www.crkt.com/M16-10-EDC-Glass...WKS-Combo-Edge

Any (better) suggestions, within this price range?
    Thanks.
    I use the M16-10Z knife above. A seller on Amazon has them for $22 shipped. Every now and then you can buy them for <$10 online, last time Amazon had them on sale for $11.

I bought 5 of them and am down to 3. Works well for the money.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I asked myself the same question after my Benchmade auto came up missing a few years ago. I just couldn't justify dropping the cash on a replacement. I finally settled on the CRKT Drifter G10.
    (http://www.crkt.com/Drifter)

You can find it all over online for less than $25. At that price you might not expect much, but I have always been impressed by the fit and finish as well as the solidness of the liner lock. Only gripe is a bit of a soft blade steel. Not too much of an issue if you have a stone or a diamond rod to keep the edge tuned up.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    At that price point, I tend to hunt for a Kershaw Blur with the S30V blade steel. You can find them for about $75 shipped if you look.

And Skintop911 is right, there are a lot of "what knife for xxx?" threads.

If you can carry a fixed blade, it beats the pants off a folder for self defense. Time yourself deploying one, and you'll see what I mean.

I carry a fixed blade strictly for self defense, and a very small Leatherman Squirt PS4 multitool for mundane chores. It is small and never raises an eyeball - it's just a small pair of pliers that folds up in one's pant's pocket. They are $20 on ebay.

Feedback Score
    I have a huge pile o' knives...

A few I like and would suggest:

Benchmade Griptilians... with either drop point or sheepsfoot... OR: Benchmade 530 (Make sure to find a sight that offers a discount code off of base pricing... cutleryshoppe.com, knifeworks,com... etc.)

Spyderco Tenacious family, Delica, Endura, or maybe a Manix 2 (Manix 2 may be a bit above your price new)

CRKT Hissatsu... James William's design, and Paul Howe turned me on to them at a pistol class.

Smooth sided stainless knives get really slippery for me... and that limits the utility of the blade in certain situations.

There are tons of mid priced knives that are very impressive... but the above knives have really stood out for me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    crkt m16-14zsf

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast