Thread: Surefire Scout vs X300

Feedback Score

Surefire Scout vs X300

I'm trying to decide whether to go with either a Scout or X300 light for a 14.5" upper with DD 12" rail.

What are the advantages of one over the other. I'm planning on mounting the light most likely with an off-set mount and SF pressure switch.

The X300 has more lumans over the Scout light, but what advantages would I get with a Scout?

Feedback Score

Surefire Scout vs X300

Besides lumens, the X300 weighs less. That's really the only difference I see and I have both lights mounted on different rifles. The Scout seems sturdier than the X300 too, but I'm not banging my rifles around very much for it to make a significant difference.

Feedback Score

Surefire Scout vs X300

The new Scouts and the X300 Ultra both are 500 lumens. In my opinion, the X300 the best light for 12 o'clock use in front of a front sight. If I'm using a light at 10-11 o'clock I'd prefer the scout, due to the metal construction and mount, and ability to change batteries without removal. The longer Scout also puts the head closer to the the muzzle, for less barrel shadow.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There's a thread on this already I think. Most people agreed that the Scout is more durable mostly because of the X300's tailcap switch that can get turned on/off or bumped around and broken. The new Mini-Scout has 200 lumens and the Scout will be getting a 500 lumen upgrade soon. Both also come with the switch whereas the X300 does not (prices are different obviously though).
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    There's a thread on this already I think. Most people agreed that the Scout is more durable mostly because of the X300's tailcap switch that can get turned on/off or bumped around and broken. The new Mini-Scout has 200 lumens and the Scout will be getting a 500 lumen upgrade soon. Both also come with the switch whereas the X300 does not (prices are different obviously though).
    I've seen a few dealers selling the M600U (500 lumens), but do not see that model listed on Surefire's website...any idea why this is?

Also, does anyone know who might have this light in stock?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just took a two day advanced rifle course. This was a very good, very high speed class. It was a 900 rounds in 2 days class. It was also held from 1600-0000 which meant a ton of low light/ night time shooting. I have and use the Sure Fire X-300 mounted at the 12 O'clock position. I like it for several reasons. 1) truly ambidextrous 2) very good for shooting from barricades 3) very bright 4) very durable. Another thought is if you have a railed pistol, you can switch the light back and forth depending on the gun/tool you are using. All an all I think the X-300 at the 12 O'clock is hard to beat. Just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Both are great lights - I run an X300 on pretty much every RDS equipped carbine I own (and pistol), and an M300 or equivalent on everything with a variable zoom optic. This has as much to do with the iron sights as anything else (I love the DD Fixed Front with an X300 directly in front - it also does a lot to mitigate the ALD issue as well).

If you're running an offset mount anyway, i HIGHLY recommend looking at running a VTAC L4 in an offset mount - it's a scout head and tailcap in an E body, for a great price - run that in a good offset mount (GearSector, 03DG, IWC, etc.).

the x300-Ultra and revised Scout lights both have absolutely bonkers lumen outputs, which is great, and that's not worth picking between them. I'd simplify the decision to how much the ambidextrous actuation makes sense (the 12:00 directly in front of a fixed iron sight setup is my absolute preference for the X300), or if you need the offset actuation to be really happy with it (if so, the M300 and VTAC l4 3V are both awesome). I have piles of each, and am VERY happy with both for the desired applications.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 06-04-13 at 21:50.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I just took a two day advanced rifle course. This was a very good, very high speed class. It was a 900 rounds in 2 days class. It was also held from 1600-0000 which meant a ton of low light/ night time shooting. I have and use the Sure Fire X-300 mounted at the 12 O'clock position. I like it for several reasons. 1) truly ambidextrous 2) very good for shooting from barricades 3) very bright 4) very durable. Another thought is if you have a railed pistol, you can switch the light back and forth depending on the gun/tool you are using. All an all I think the X-300 at the 12 O'clock is hard to beat. Just my 2 cents.
    Are you running a SF pressure switch with your X300 at the 12 O'Clock position?

I went with a Noveske LP barrel on this build and it has a Troy flip-up front sight. If I mount the X300 at the 12 O'Clock position, it would have to be in front of the flip-up sight...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No, I'm not running the pressure switch. For two reasons 1) the toggle switch is truly ambidextrous, and 2) the pad is just one more thing to have go wrong or fail. I just push on the toggle from either side, either hand, and it does a momentary on.

I am also running my light in front of my sights. Yes, it shortens my over all sight radius, but it's an SBR anyway, so it's already short. Also the irons are a back up. I don't expect my Aimpoint T-1 will fail. If it does and I have to go to my back up irons, that extra couple inches isn't going to make much difference.