Thread: help with light...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

help with light...

There are so many lights out there right now,would you guys give me some ideas on what light set up to mount on my m-4?

Also what mounts you guys are using? Ive looked at the Larue but dang at 100 plus bucks for the mount thats a bit much. Iam planning on mounting a foregrip since with the light theres not much room for gripping the gun with a carbine rail. And i dont want an extended rail.

I would also like to keep the set up light weight even if this means costing more money. I cant see adding an extra pound for a light and mount. Would like to keep this around 100.00 bucks or less if i can, but that maybe dreaming.. lol

I know thats not much money anymore and maybe thats not enough for a reliable setup? Ive searched this stuff but cant make up my mind. Are the Surefire plastic body lights G2 strong enough? Seems like the P6 metal body would add weight but if its stronger its worth the 20 bucks. Iam not trying to cheap out but also not trying to get killed by my wife..lol..

This area seems like one were you could really screw up and add a bunch of weight or get a really crappy setup if your not carefull. Like I said I will be adding a foregrip so maybe I should get a light thats has the remote control for the light built into the foregrip I just dont know?

Thanks in advance for your ideas...

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Have you considered using a Magpul MOE hand guard, light mount, and vertical grip?

Hand guard: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG440/62
    Light mount: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG403/104
    Vertical grip: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG413/39

Total cost would be $30 + $10 + $20 (plus the cost of the light you purchase).

The MOE light mount can fit a Surefire Scout and most 1913 Picatinny mounted lights. There's a picture of a streamlight TLR-1 in this configuration on the product page I linked above.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The rail will be a Midwest ind. gen 2 drop in rail....Sorry should have thrown that in... But thats a really nice looking setup from magpul,and the scout light seems small enough..thats why i ask,,already some great ideas coming in..thanks
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 06-04-13 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    The plastic G2 is plenty strong, I run a G2 LED on one rifle and a Surefire X300 on another. Have a TLR-1 on a shotgun. I like all those lights, with the G2 LED of course being the cheapest of those 3.

A Streamlight Polytac LED is around $40 and has 130 lumens for up to 3 hrs. That is what I would get if I needed another simple, low cost weapon light.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    Since you are looking for ideas, a Surefire Scout in a Thorntail adaptive mount or Inforce WML-HSP light on a Thorntail 1913 offset mount are two more options. I haven't used the Inforce HSP but between the light and the thorntail mount you are at about $170 or so.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Infor...f-wml-bwmh.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Thorn...c-lpic1913.htm

What you choose is ultimatly going to boil down to personal preference. How you place your support hand when you shoot will play into how you activate the light which will dictate where you mount the light and if you need a remote switch.

I would also recommend searching on this site for the various opintions on remote switches and decide for yourself if that is a path you want to travel down or not.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Getting a good weapon light setup under $100 is going to be tough. Some folks are cool with running handheld lights on a weapon but I prefer to go with dedicated weapon lights.

That said, a relatively cheap and proven option is the Insight Technology M3X. You can find them with pistol backplates (i.e., rocker switch) for around $100 used or on eBay if you know what to look for. Add another $60 or the LED upgrade it and you're set. They have long gun back plate that can be easily swapped for one that supports a tape switch. No additional mount required for the Insight lights.

Of course, for $160 you are getting into used SureFire Scout (M600A, M600C) territory, which is an excellent light. (I do like M3X/M6X LEDs for their wide spill whereas the Scout has more throw). I actually prefer the thumbscrew mount on non-offset Scout lights because it keeps the light close the rail compared to after-market options.

As you move into $200 range, you're getting into SureFire X300-U range, and you can probably pick up legacy X300s used for sub-$200.

Finally, if you're set on the $100 target, the Inforce WML is well regarded.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Infor...f-wml-bwmh.htm

ETA: WML was mentioned above, but you don't need the HSP mount since it has an integral mount.
    Last edited by kwilkin; 06-04-13 at 14:16. Reason: Dupe!

Feedback Score
    Easy, get a TLR-1. Done deal. If you have a rail, great. If not you can buy a small section of rail and bolt it right to the plastic handguard. Of get a moe as others have suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I run a TRL-1. It's been pretty bomb proof. Even though we haven't done low light in my carbine classes, I keep it mounted and it's survived two classes with no issues. In fact, it hasn't been off the rifle in 4000 rounds of practice and classes.

With the rail you have it will clamp right onto the left or right side rail. If you wanted a closer to 12:00 mount you could go with the Midwest one here.. http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...category_ID=94

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the advice everyone... I think the trl-1 light would be what I need, nice small setup..Maybe the inforce from BCM I like the way it turns on.
    Wish the trl-1 came with the grip tape. i guess you have to buy the batt.cover then the plug in gripper to turn it on and off.
    Hows the rocker on and off switch? Easy enough to use on an M-4?

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I never noticed the light forum..I can do some more reading on knives and lights...
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 06-05-13 at 23:40.