Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele SMR Picture Thread

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JChops View Post
    Here's a list I've kept to get you started. I've built uppers with the following versions so these are all confirmed. I don't know if this list is complete but feel free to add if you can confirm something not shown:

MKI 10", 13" (Slick, smallest OD, threaded inserts to attach rails direct)
    Version 1: Original design. Steel barrel nut. Heli-coil barrel nut bolt holes. Oversize phillips-head socket cap bolts. Laser engraving along top.
    Version 2: Exactly the same as V1 but with QD sockets on both sides.
    Version 3 (Current): Bottom vent holes redesigned to pear shape. Steel nut updated to new chamfered design. Anti-rotation "wings" reduced to smaller tabs like MKIV. Bolts updated to lo-pro allen head socket caps and are countersunk into rail like MKIV. Phosphated steel retainer countersunk on opposite side like MKIV. Laser engraving moved near barrel nut like MKIV. Black anodizing has a blue tint to it.

MKII 9.5", 10", 13" (Slick, larger OD, removable keyed backer plates that serve as mounts for rails)
    Version 1: Original design. Steel barrel nut. Heli-coil barrel nut bolt holes. Allen socket cap bolts with slight countersink. Laser engraving along top.
    Version 2: Exactly the same as V1 but with QD sockets on both sides.
    Version 3 (Current): Bottom vent holes redesigned to pear shape. Steel nut updated to new chamfered design. Anti-rotation "wings" reduced to smaller tabs like MKIV. Bolts updated to lo-pro allen head socket caps and are countersunk into rail like MKIV. Phosphated steel retainer flush-mount on opposite side like MKIV. Laser engraving moved near barrel nut like MKIV. (Also, note that the 9.5" rail has replaced the 10" rail.)

MKIV 9.5", 13" (Slick with short fixed rails at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock)
    Version 1: Original design. Only current rail with aluminum barrel nut. Small anti-rotation wings. Larger head allen socket cap bolts, countersunk. Phosphated steel retainer flush-mount on opposite side. Laser engraving near barrel nut.
    Version 2 (Current): Aluminum nut updated to new chamfered design. Bolts are newer lo-pro allen head socket caps. Vent holes below barrel nut removed.

You could also add the following prototypes and specials that have been shown publicly:

• The "Trident" Rail — 13" MKIV (Sand) rail w/ square bottom vent holes (owned by a member here)
    • Citizen Arms Rails — 9.5" & 13" MKII & MKIV rails with HK416 style keyed anti-rotation
    • Cola Warrior Rails — (2) 13" MKIV rails (Sand, Grey), with special engraving and HK416 style keyed anti-rotation
    • Keymod rail — 9.5" MKIV (in the white) proof of concept shown recently by Bill

Jesus. Why is there so many variations? Is there a market out there for 20 variants of a $250+ rail? Or are they discontinuing some?
    Last edited by C45P312; 06-05-13 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C45P312 View Post
    Jesus. Why is there so many variations? Is there a market out there for 20 variants of a $250+ rail? Or are they discontinuing some?
    Making handguards for the standard AR DI setup & one for the HK 416 would demand 2 different versions right off the bat.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    Sweet looking rifles in this thread.

Feedback Score
    Here's my MK4 Mod 1 Rev B

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C45P312 View Post
    They are not as much variations as they are updates. Due to the speed and quantity produced, the different revisions were not available at the same time. There are revisions to each version of the MK1,2, and 4. The properties of the different marks remain the same. MK1 as direct thread, MK2 backing plates, MK4 slick with permanent rail sections at the muzzle end.

The different revisions include low pro cross bolts, lighter weight due to more aggressive vents on the bottom of the rail, updated barrel nut, integral qd swivel locations, and reduced anti rotation wings. These have all come about to make a more versatile polished product. At least for the M4 type rifles. I am fairly ignorant with any revisions on the HK416 family of SMR Rails. Any current available models and future models, for the M4 series rifles, will incorporate these updates and possibly more.

That being said, they should have left the wings the original larger size and left the vent holes symmetrical. If those variations were available in the MK1 and MK2, I would buy two more.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgex2 View Post
    They are not as much variations as they are updates. Due to the speed and quantity produced, the different revisions were not available at the same time. There are revisions to each version of the MK1,2, and 4. The properties of the different marks remain the same. MK1 as direct thread, MK2 backing plates, MK4 slick with permanent rail sections at the muzzle end.

The different revisions include low pro cross bolts, lighter weight due to more aggressive vents on the bottom of the rail, updated barrel nut, integral qd swivel locations, and reduced anti rotation wings. These have all come about to make a more versatile polished product. At least for the M4 type rifles. I am fairly ignorant with any revisions on the HK416 family of SMR Rails. Any current available models and future models, for the M4 series rifles, will incorporate these updates and possibly more.

That being said, they should have left the wings the original larger size and left the vent holes symmetrical. If those variations were available in the MK1 and MK2, I would buy two more.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.
    NAVY

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don't care so much about the wings, but the two different style vent holes bother me too. Too busy looking I think.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    The MkIII 15" has been shown on ARF. No release date yet, but according to Bill it's possibly within the next few days.

Scroll about half way down. Here

Here's my Mk4 on a complete LaRue Stealth upper receiver. The Geissele weighs around half of what the LaRue 13.2" that I took off did.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don't care so much about the wings, but the two different style vent holes bother me too. Too busy looking I think.
    I agree. I don't like the difference in the vent holes either. Its easy enough to put the obround hold back, however the "angle bridged rectangles" are the lightest, strongest profile that has openings that will not allow a finger to be inserted.

We had big open rectangles on the Mod 0 but fingers could be caught in the holes. Or burned on the barrel.

Its a trade off, a different look that is not consistent top to bottom or a heavier rail.

WHG

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sagmill View Post
    I agree. I don't like the difference in the vent holes either. Its easy enough to put the obround hold back, however the "angle bridged rectangles" are the lightest, strongest profile that has openings that will not allow a finger to be inserted.

We had big open rectangles on the Mod 0 but fingers could be caught in the holes. Or burned on the barrel.

Its a trade off, a different look that is not consistent top to bottom or a heavier rail.

WHG
    What about putting the angle bridged rectangles on top too? I'm assuming there must have been a specific reason as to why the old top vent holes have not been incorporated in the redesign?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast