Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lube comparison...

Feedback Score

Lube comparison...

In particular Slip 2000 EWL compared to Mobil 1. Due to a lot of research/feedback for the past year or so I had begun to use Mobil 1 on my (wife's ) Bushmaster and also due largely to what I had been reading here I ordered Slip 2000 EWL for my new LMT.

As for comparison they both seem to behave in a similar manner. Both seem to stand up to the heat of continued use in a DI system. EWL seems a little 'thinner' it tends to run out any crack it can find, but it still remains wet where it was applied. Mobil 1 seems to stay where it is put better, it stays wet but doesn't seem to 'travel' as easily.

They both make cleaning easier, again I'd have to give a slight edge to Mobil 1 here. Although I can't call this definitive. Due to weather I only put 100-120 rnds through the LMT with EWL. However I had maybe 500 rnds on the BM since it's last cleaning after switching to Mobil 1. I was quite impressed with it's ease of clean up and ability to stay in place after so many rounds.

I use small bottles filled with Mobil 1 and glass droppers, this makes application much easier. I may follow suit and get a glass dropper for the EWL. I plan to continue this comparison and see what happens. But I must say I am already tempted to switch to Mobil 1 across the board.

I know many of you have more experience and shoot more with carbines. Have any of you done a similar comparison before? Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use auto tranny fluid for oil and brian enos' slide glide when I need grease. It must work as I've never had a lube-related malfunction but I think there has to be something better out there and will watch this thread closely.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use Hoppe's lube in both of my AR's. Both run without hiccups. High round counts as well. After a day's shooting of several hundred rounds in a compact time span, my carrier is still covered in (dirty) lube.

Feedback Score
    I've been playing around with Mobil-1 on other people's guns and my own, for the past few years, with excellent results. My 1911s all seem to like it fine. I am not a chemist, by any means, but can any industry professional who is knowledgeable about/designs firearms lubricants, explain what exactly the advantages are to weapon-specific lubes like Slip2000, MilTec, FP-10, and the others, compared to simple Mobil-1 or transmission fluid?

I'm not cheap when it comes to my guns, but it seems that, at $1 per ounce for CLP/Dri-Lube/Brand X/Amazing New Lube of the Month vs. $7 a quart for Mobil 1, there had better be some magic happening in the smaller bottles, something that makes them, by definition, better for guns, as opposed to being simply marketed for guns. Engines run hotter than firearms, so I know it's not that. I would like to know about real, designed-into-the-formula advantages that make firearms-specific lubricants a better choice for firearms - and if not, why aren't we pushing Mobil 1? All informed opinions appreciated in advance.

Feedback Score
    I also use motor oil for ARs. right now Nappa 10W-40

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    In my experience all the higher end gun lubes work almost equally well. I use Militec-1, Slip2000, WeaponShield, Machingunners Lube/10-8 lube).

For direct impingment standard ARs I find that WeaponShield burns off the slowest. I notice this while shooting supressed. Militec-1 I find burns off almost as slow.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I've been shooting regularly, and quite frequently, for 32 yrs. in northern Ohio. For most of that period I was using the original formula Clenzoil for lubing everything. Back then they only had one product, it was made locally and worked very well. I still have some of it from a bulk purchase that was made before they started coming out with their current line of products, so I can't speak for it today.

In the last 5 years I've been using a lot of Militech, Slip2000, and a 2:1 "red oil" blend that I mix-up of Mobil1 motor oil & auto trans fluid. My experiences are far from being scientific, but I see little difference between the lubes in all weather conditions with high round counts and using suppressors. One AR, that is used primarily for classes and instructing, gets "red oil" exclusively and it just keeps running.

Just my limited observations - YMMV.

Feedback Score
    I've used everything from CLP to synthetic motor oil. I'm running Slip 2000 EWL now primarily because it is non-toxic and not petroleum based. It works as advertised.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've been using Mobil 1 for 3 or 4 weeks now. It seems to be really good.

I don't have a dropper though. I just use cotton swabs to mop it onto my bolt.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I normally use militec on my handguns and rifles for slow fire. If I do a high round count shoot (500 rds +) or attend a class, I'll run with Slip EWL. I have been curious about Mobil1 lately and definitely will be giving it a try.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast