Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lube comparison...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't tried Mobil1, but have used and continue to use Militec, Slip2000EWL, and Weapon Shield. I have a good amount of Militec, but once it is all gone, I'll probably just use Slip2000EWL. I have had good results, and like someone else mentioned I like that it is non-toxic and not petroleum based unlike the Militec or Mobil.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    For direct impingment standard ARs I find that WeaponShield burns off the slowest
    That's been my observation as well since they sent me samples to try. Also, I don't see as much fouling clinging to things either, even on dirty as hell SBR's.
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CHoffman View Post
    I use auto tranny fluid for oil and brian enos' slide glide when I need grease. It must work as I've never had a lube-related malfunction but I think there has to be something better out there and will watch this thread closely.
    Have you or anyone else tried white lithium grease by any chance?

Feedback Score
    To the best of my knowledge Mobil 1 is not petrolem based, it is a full synthetic, so is Slip 2000. Where are our automotive engineers when we need them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Gun Butter ?????

What about Gun Butter? I have seen it on some 1911 sites and MSTN Sells it and shows it with a Receiver & Carrier Lubrication using Gun Butter & and special wipes. Check out MSTN web site and the section on lubing the Rec & BCG with their special kit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Harness View Post
    Have you or anyone else tried white lithium grease by any chance?

I use a little on the contact surfaces on the bolt carrier and the upper. I use Hoppes oil on everything else. I haven't had an issue thus far but I've not wrung my rifle out in various weather conditions or high round counts.

Feedback Score
    i know a bit about engine oils....and it makes sense to me that if you are going to use a motor oil in your rifle, probably best to look for those that have the API "energy conserving" circle symbol on the back.

these normally contain friction modifiers of some sort, such as ptfe or moly. anything that reduces friction cant be bad i guess

unless you are using it in a motorcycle with a wet clutch.....

Feedback Score
    I've been working on using up a liter of Mobil 1/ATF for a couple years. It doesn't run off and at a 2-3:1 ratio it's thin enough that it doesn't slow down and sludge up like straight 10w30. As cheap as it is, I just submerge the BCG and loosely wipe off the excess.

I haven't tried the Slip EWL or 10-8 stuff yet and don't see a reason to run grease in an AR. I am playing with slide glide on the pistols though.

Feedback Score
    Mobil1 is synthetic.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge Mobil 1 is not petrolem based, it is a full synthetic, so is Slip 2000. Where are our automotive engineers when we need them.

Mobil one is NOT a "true" full synthetic. The only oils that are that I know about are: Amsoil, Castrol 0-30 European formula, some Royal Purple oils, some Redline oils, and then the designer stuff for certain car manufacturers. I think ELF may be, but am not sure. I am sure there are a couple I missed, but Mobil 1 is not among them. After losing a law-suit with Castrol (Mobil 1 accused them of lying basically, as Castrol calls their group III with Group IV/V added oils "fully synthetic" which is slightly deceptive.), they now include just enough group IV/V oils to be considered "fully synthetic" according to a lable they apply. I hate mobil 1 and it has given poor results compared to the 0-30 Euro formula (Pure synthetic) Castrol I use. With Mobil 1 I: used more oil, and had more grey goo on my drain plug magnet. True, LS1's like to use oil, but 0-30 GC cut that in HALF.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast