The first thing I do after deciding on a new firearm is decide what to use for HD/SD ammunition. When I first got into firearms for personal defense, I found the AR15.com/Firearms Tactical article that pretty much laid out what "worked" vs. what "didn't".

Obviously, the ammunition industry is always trying to improve their products as we see new stuff all the time. My question is :Why do they still produce ammo that is less effective?

You don't see Chevy simultaneously producing 1986, 1996, 2006 and 2014 models of the Impala do you? Does anyone make anything but flat-screen TVs? Does Intel still make 386 processors?

Yet we have ammo companies who continue to produce products with 20-30 year old technology. In the same grains, Federal has LE JHP, Hi-Shock, Hydra-Shock and HST. The older models don't pass "professional standards" at all. How many different lines of the same caliber do the other companies have?

This doesn't even include *all* the 115gr 9mm loads that don't "pass". How people load up their 9mm w/115gr WWB JHP and feel remotely safe is beyond me. I'd rather carry Ball @that point.

I know their price points are different, but if they only sold what "works" wouldn't they streamline and save money?

1st question is "Why?". My second question is: Is it deceitful to sell ammunition that they know may not perform its intended job?

All these re-sellers on Armslist and GunTrader selling 115 gr Hi-Shock for SD really kinda worries me.

Thanks!