Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Optics or not for training class

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    And the irony must be lost on you that you are making a broad generalization about all the members of this site.
    Fair enough I should have been more specific. Though it might not be to my credit, I really wasn't generalizing about the members of this site so much as shooters.

I think you'd admit there is this undercurrent in the shooting world. If one thing "works" than by definition the other must "not work."

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I find them to be about equal. Actually the irons I can hit faster because I can see the post approaching center mass from low ready (or whatever postion the weapon is in) and lead the trigger pull accordingly.

Again... if you're comparing lining up the sights like you'd do on a precision shot to the red dot, then you're not getting a fair comparison. The irons would lose every time if you shot CQB that way.
    I'd agree. I wouldn't waste time lining up the irons. In my experience tricks on how to use them in a different index are tricks that work with varying degrees of success.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    The only reason I would purposely (or advise someone else to) use iron sights for a class would be 1) if I knew I was not able to use them properly, and 2) it was a marksmanship-oriented class. Otherwise, I'd do the class the way I planned to use the rifle.
    Ditto!! In come cases using iron sights might actually detract from what the course is trying to teach. However, in a course that aims to emphasize the fundamentals, it may be fine.

As someone posted, ask the Instructor. Good luck!!
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    I'd agree. I wouldn't waste time lining up the irons. In my experience tricks on how to use them in a different index are tricks that work with varying degrees of success.
    Well of course without practice, one can not expect success. I'm optimistic, however, that most shooters with the drive to learn this "trick", as you call it, can master it.

I find it no more tricky to but my front sight post on a target then I do a red dot.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123