Last week I scratched an itch that I had for a long time. I bought my first 1911. Over the years I have always wanted one, but the time, expense, and knowledge required was more than I was willing or able to give. I was at the local gun store with the intention of perhaps buying a PPQ or a P30 after checking the two out, but overheard another sales rep talking about some new Colts they had in. I walked over to check them out and, well, ended up coming home with a new friend.

I had done a little bit of homework in the past to help me decide what to purchase by reading articles from people like Vickers, Yam, Wilson, and a number of other people. I had decided that a semi or full custom 1911 was a bit of a stretch due to price, wait time, and also not wanting to spend that much on a custom 1911 with options that I had no experience with and didn't know whether or not I wanted. So, with that in mind, I decided on a basic carbon steel, blued, 5" govt. style 1911 per the general suggestions from the professionals. From my research, this seemed to be a fantastic starting point that would leave all the roads I wanted open to me further down the line when I learned more and settled on what I wanted as far as custom work goes.

The particular gun I had decided on was the exact one that I came home with, a Colt 1991/Govt. model O1991. I chose the series 80/firing pin safety because I wanted to keep the option open for a carry gun and because, from my research, and despite a little complaining over the purity of the 1911s trigger from some, it seemed to not detract from the gun at all and enhanced safety. A win/win in my opinion, but time will tell.

At this point I am planning on buying some WC ETM magazines and CMC magazines, putting 1,000rds. of 230gn. FMJ from a quality manufacturer (I have planned to sell my left arm in order to do this so as to afford said ammunition) through it per Hilton Yam's advice to get a feel for the gun, find any reliability issues that might arise, and get some ideas from there on what I want to do for custom work down the line. Sorry if this post seems a little long or winded, and any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are well appreciated.