Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington R1 Carry Review

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Remington R1 Carry Review

Intro:
    A few months ago I was in need of a new concealed-carry handgun, and being a 1911 fan, I decided to browse the models within my price range. I was willing to shell out $1500, but like most of us during these trying times, I wanted to keep the price low to offset the cost of ammunition. There were a few manufacturers to consider: one had a model priced over $1400, another manufacturer had one priced right around $1500, and then there was the Remington R1 Carry that was conveniently priced at $1100. I knew that Remington was fairly new to the 1911 scene (after taking a 60+ year break from manufacturing 1911’s), so I was naturally a little hesitant to throw down over one thousand dollars on a relatively unproven handgun. I normally seek advice from industry contacts or through online after-action reports, but none were available. I was in quite the conundrum; do I risk spending this money on a handgun that could ultimately fail me? Or do I spend hundred’s more on proven options?

I decided to take the risk and purchase the Remington for a couple reasons. First, Remington performed very well with the presentation of this handgun. I find this 1911 to be very to attractive; mainly due to the tasteful rollmarks and the eye-pleasing cocobolo grips. The slide-to-frame fit was above par for 1911’s in this price range. Second, the R1 Carry had all the features I was looking for: a functional, 25-LPI checkered front strap, a beavertail safety with a 25-LPI checkered memory bump, an ambidextrous manual safety, a tritium front sight with a blacked-out rear sight, and a dehorned frame and slide. If you ask me, there is a ton of value for a 1911 at that price point with so many features. Finally, I wanted an American-made 1911, and this one was easily the best-priced option for the features I wanted.

The case is an industry-standard case, which includes a flush magazine and a magazine with a basepad.

Initial Backlash

“You got a what?!”

“Whoa, Mr. Bigshot with his Remington…”

“I would have gone with brand X, Y, or Z”

These are all comments I have heard from industry contacts when I purchased my Remington. At first, I will admit, I was concerned with the reaction I received. I worried that maybe the reason I couldn’t find any objective testing on the R1 Carry was because I was the only person foolish enough to purchase the firearm. I wondered if this was going to end up being a $1000 mistake… but I quickly learned that the Remington R1 Carry was one of the best $1000 investments I ever made.

Under the hood of the Remington R1 Carry

Exceptional Performance

I have heard everything from “you have to spend more than $3000 to get a 1911 worthy of defensive application” to “my $399 gunshow special can outshoot any fandangled semi-custom 1911”. I try to venture away from either extreme with my approach, as I believe a respectable defensive 1911 can be purchased for a moderate sum. The R1 Carry has sustained my view in this regard. In the last couple of months I have fired over 3200 rounds through the R1 Carry, and beyond the breaking-in process with the first 70 rounds, I have had ZERO malfunctions I can attribute to the 1911. Given that many people consider the 1911 to be an outdated design, and most agree that the firearm is not on the same level of reliability as it’s polymer counterparts, I have been absolutely pleased with the reliability of this handgun.

Accuracy has been what one can expect out of a 1911 geared for defensive purposed. The trigger pull averages out around 4.25 lbs; which has provided accurate shooting at logical defensive distances. I am not an IPSC or IDPA professional competitor, but I am a competent shooter who has participated in handgun training with the likes of Larry Vickers and Ron Avery. With that being said, I can consistently hit in the “0” zone of IDPA or “A” zone of IPSC targets at defensive distances in a variety of drills.

Final Conclusion

I have owned and worked with several 1911’s in my career, and I can honestly say that this 1911 is one of the best values in the 1911 market. While it is not a perfect handgun, it provides shooters with the opportunity to own a 1911 geared for defensive carry, while at a moderate price point. If you are in the market for a 1911, I recommend you give the R1 Carry some serious consideration. Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts; I look forward to the following discussion.

Last edited by pleaforwar; 04-16-13 at 20:46.
    Luke 2:14
    USMC 03-08

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Outstanding review,,Thanks for the info !! looks like the R1 is a respectable gun for the money !! Being a 1911 guy myself,,I take great interest in your post & I have been very interested in the R1 Carry for the better part of a month now,,it just seems to be a great gun for the price !!! As it stands now I am going to be buying a buddies R1 Mil-Spec,in the next few weeks,shot it a bunch last week and sealed the deal,,,just saving the $$$ up now !!! Anyways,,I am glad Big Green is back in the 1911 game,,I will be looking for a R1 Carry in the near future !! Thanks again for the review !!!

Feedback Score
    Weren't the "Remington" 1911's made by Remington Rand (A machining company that made typewriters)? Did Remington actually make 1911's before the R1? Just curious.
    "The blood I drop is more medicinal than dangerous to me."

-Coriolanus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre'sWrath View Post
    Weren't the "Remington" 1911's made by Remington Rand (A machining company that made typewriters)? Did Remington actually make 1911's before the R1? Just curious.
    Yes, you are right about Remington Rand. Although RR had roots with Remington, I believe the company became a separate entity with a merger in ~1928.

As I understand it, the company we know today as Remington Arms, produced 1911's under the name of Remington UMC. I do not know when Remington UMC quit production of their 1911's.

Cheers,
    Dan
    USMC 03-08

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pleaforwar View Post
    As I understand it, the company we know today as Remington Arms, produced 1911's under the name of Remington UMC. I do not know when Remington UMC quit production of their 1911's.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Contract suspended 12 Dec 1918, production cessation early 1919 per Clawson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dan View Post
    Contract suspended 12 Dec 1918, production cessation early 1919 per Clawson.
    Thank you for the clarification.
    USMC 03-08

Feedback Score
    No Problem, Brother. Hope the R1 serves you well.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks for the review. I am looking for my first 1911 and these have caught my eye. The R1 carry has all the features I want at a very reasonable price point.
    Last edited by JBecker 72; 04-17-13 at 14:16.

Feedback Score
    I bought the plain-Jane Remington 1911R1 a couple years ago.

It's really a nice 1911 if not the fanciest model available.

I own three 1911 pistols of various models including ther Remington..and have owned other 1911 pistols in the past..and the Remington 1911 R1 is the best one I've owned...most expensive one I've owned too...

It's an excellent shooter..accurate and reliable. Feeds a fair variety of hollowpoints smoothly..has a good trigger despite the series 80 safety parts...not magazine picky at all and Ive used all sorts of cheap, expensive, ancient/nasty/battered Sistema and Ballester Molina mags too. All worked perfect

Do check your sight setscrews!!...Remington used tiny-tiny little screws on my R1..and the rear came loose after about 300 shots...almost lost the rear sight!!

Feedback Score
    I have a "previously enjoyed" (a.k.a. used) R1 Carry coming in. It has the perfect set of features for my uses. I'll let you know how it shoots once it arrives and I get a few rounds down range.

The one above looks really nice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast