Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I opened a can of worms (my first 1911)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I opened a can of worms (my first 1911)

Last week I scratched an itch that I had for a long time. I bought my first 1911. Over the years I have always wanted one, but the time, expense, and knowledge required was more than I was willing or able to give. I was at the local gun store with the intention of perhaps buying a PPQ or a P30 after checking the two out, but overheard another sales rep talking about some new Colts they had in. I walked over to check them out and, well, ended up coming home with a new friend.

I had done a little bit of homework in the past to help me decide what to purchase by reading articles from people like Vickers, Yam, Wilson, and a number of other people. I had decided that a semi or full custom 1911 was a bit of a stretch due to price, wait time, and also not wanting to spend that much on a custom 1911 with options that I had no experience with and didn't know whether or not I wanted. So, with that in mind, I decided on a basic carbon steel, blued, 5" govt. style 1911 per the general suggestions from the professionals. From my research, this seemed to be a fantastic starting point that would leave all the roads I wanted open to me further down the line when I learned more and settled on what I wanted as far as custom work goes.

The particular gun I had decided on was the exact one that I came home with, a Colt 1991/Govt. model O1991. I chose the series 80/firing pin safety because I wanted to keep the option open for a carry gun and because, from my research, and despite a little complaining over the purity of the 1911s trigger from some, it seemed to not detract from the gun at all and enhanced safety. A win/win in my opinion, but time will tell.

At this point I am planning on buying some WC ETM magazines and CMC magazines, putting 1,000rds. of 230gn. FMJ from a quality manufacturer (I have planned to sell my left arm in order to do this so as to afford said ammunition) through it per Hilton Yam's advice to get a feel for the gun, find any reliability issues that might arise, and get some ideas from there on what I want to do for custom work down the line. Sorry if this post seems a little long or winded, and any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are well appreciated.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    the S.80 gun is a great choice. don't let anyone tell you different
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I would be highly pleased with that particular purchase myself.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Congrats on making an excellent choice on a first 1911. Feature-wise the Colt 1911 Gov't Model is a basic meat-and-potatoes 1911 that you can do anything with down the road. And a Colt will hold its value well if you decide to sell it (so long as any custom work is tasteful and competently done).

And people will always cry about how the S80 firing pin safety ruins the trigger. Nonsense. I have a 2009 Colt XSE LW Commander that has a trigger job and I actually like the Colt firing pin safety so I had the Series 80 parts left intact and I invite anyone to dry-fire my LW Commander and say the trigger isn't perfect. If you use a good 'smith he should have no problem giving you a crisp, safe, 3.5 to 4-pound trigger pull while retaining the S80 components. Just throwing in my two cents about the Series 80 guns because I know somebody will be along to say the Series 70 is somehow more reliable but only in theory. I've never actually seen or heard of anbody on any board post that they were having failures to fire because of the Series 80-type FPS (not to be confused with the Schwartz-type used by Kimber). Bottom line is you already bought it, and it's good to go.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 06-18-13 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Excellent starting point!
    Send lawyers, guns and money the $#!+ has hit the fan...

Feedback Score
    I received that exact same model as gift from my wife last Christmas. After 1250 rounds in six months (would have been more but with the shortage and all) it has been flawless, and I am becoming more and more reluctant to do any customizing.

You're off to a great start.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great choice! My girlfriend bought me the same one as a birthday gift a month ago.

It's been great, although after about 500 rounds the bluing is starting to wear here and there internally, nothing external. Functioning perfect though.

You'll love it. Took me a while to figure out how I wanted some features added.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    My first Colt was a NRM 80. Great gun. I shot mine bone stock for a long time. The frilly stuff isn't necessary at all, it's just nice.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I opened a can of worms (my first 1911)

Congrats on the new addition!
    I'm in the same boat you are with the exact same gun–just put one on layaway and it will be my first once it's paid off at the end of next month.

My first choice was gonna be a colt rail gun but due to the scarcity in my area, I settled on the 01991 with some kind of aftermarket light mount.

Haven't decided if I'll change over to series 70 once I get it. I'll probably just shoot it as is for a while to get a feel for the new platform.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    These colt base guns have a reputation for running - and those which I have owned did not disappoint ! My number one bit of advice if it works as is the less you tinker with it the better off you are. Almost without exception the guns people tinker on tend to have more problems than those that are left alone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast