Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 9mm 1911 conversion from SACS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I am running an 18 pound mainspring in my loaded with the factory titanium firing pin.

3k rounds, ZERO light strikes and one mag related malfunction. I also dry fire the crap out of this gun.

You WILL have to change the mainspring housing and associated parts since the ILS housing parts are different.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm one of those relics that still doesn't quite understand the appeal of a 9mm 1911 -- at least, enough to convert a .45 ACP gun -- but this is some beautiful work. Got to give credit where it is due.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    I'm one of those relics that still doesn't quite understand the appeal of a 9mm 1911 -- at least, enough to convert a .45 ACP gun -- but this is some beautiful work. Got to give credit where it is due.

AC
    MEH. I understand where you're coming from and i OWN one of these things.

Its not a 1911, its just packaged to look like one. The appeal to me is that i cannot shoot full power .45 due to raging tendinitis. The 9mm is a 40 ounce, steel gun that is a pleasure to shoot and i can still compete relatively well with it in single stack. The form factor is appealing, the trigger is appealing and it works moderately well but it is NOTHING more than a toy.

There is not a single 9mm 1911 i would EVER carry to protect my life with but that is just me.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidbattlecry View Post
    Very nice
    I want to swap that stuff out to get 14lb recoil and i think 23 is the proper weight but i'm not sure, MS. I also think that if i go down to that weight i have to switch to a steel firing pin. So i just wanted to know what they did so i can follow.
    11 to 14 lb should be a good recoil spring range. If you really want to tune it, you'll have to figure out which works best for you and your pistol.

In the range gun, I've been using an ISMI 17lb mainspring combined with a long firing pin (steel).
    Standard profile on the firing pin stop.
    Generic firing pin spring.
    This combination has set off over 30k Winchester primers and put up with a whole lot of dry fire.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I am running an 18 pound mainspring in my loaded with the factory titanium firing pin.

3k rounds, ZERO light strikes and one mag related malfunction. I also dry fire the crap out of this gun.

You WILL have to change the mainspring housing and associated parts since the ILS housing parts are different.
    What are you running for a recoil spring?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post

AC
    I bought one to get experience with the platform. I figured if i could get a 9mm 1911 to run ok i could keep a 45 running awesome. At least that was my train of thought at the time.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidbattlecry View Post
    I bought one to get experience with the platform. I figured if i could get a 9mm 1911 to run ok i could keep a 45 running awesome. At least that was my train of thought at the time.
    The 9mm is limited by the magazines and the actual cartridge design. In short...the magazines/followers by and large, suck, and the pistol was never really made to feed the 9mm.

So...i get what you're saying but its probably not an appropriate line of thinking.

I am running an 11 pound recoil spring by the way with an assortment of factory ammo ranging from 115 grain 135k power factor stuff all the way up to 147 grain ammo at 147k power factor. The 18 pound mainspring has ignited every primer ive thrown at it, including tula/wolf.

Oddly enough, the gun is "neutral" in my hands even with the wide variety of ammo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123