Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling media

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Lots of good info,,,but to me tumbling is a necessary evil and a down right pain in the ass,,, Slows the whole process up,, I look at it like this,,,the Rd's are going in a rifle/pistol,,not a friggin beauty contest !! Clean & free of debris is good enough for me !!
    +1 My sentiments exactly. Just get the crud off of them so they don't muck up my dies. Really pretty and shiny looks good, but-----

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also wet tumble with a thumlers tumbler model B. I got the kit from stainless steel media. I enjoy using the universal depriming die on my 650 and running the brass through then wet tumbling. Dies it take a long time? Yes but I'm in no hurry. Brass comes out looking like gold and spotless inside and out.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    I got a rotary and ss pins - havent used it yet - I have some nasty range pickups that look as though they were buried in southeast asia...

I reload a lot so having factory looking brass is not the goal...but it would be nice

I saw a few suggestions for drying brass:
    • polish with regular media
    • standup brass and dry
    • oven for a bit

Any other methods recommended?
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Still a "extra" step !! ,,,LOL,,,,Not for me .
    It's not too bad... and it ensures that I can run the brass immediately after a short tumble and don't have any water drops in the case.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tumbling media

I just started wet tumbling, but so far I've tried a cookie sheet in the oven at 250 and laying them out in the sun. I much prefer the latter.

I am thinking about putting them on the center rack in my wife's clothes dryer, kind of like an enormous convection oven.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Tumbling media

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I am thinking about putting them on the center rack in my wife's clothes dryer, kind of like an enormous convection oven.

Thoughts?
    Try the microwave.
    Actually, I've always just let them air dry. It's about that time that I'm ready for a break anyway.
    How are you liking your new tumbling setup?

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tumbling media

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Try the microwave.
    Actually, I've always just let them air dry. It's about that time that I'm ready for a break anyway.
    How are you liking your new tumbling setup?

Sent via Tapatalk
    Dude, I'm in love.

I'm pretty OCD, so having perfectly clean brass, without black fingertips and zero gunk & debris on my press is like a little slice of heaven.

I picked up one of the LEE hand presses and a LEE decapping die and I sit on an old beach towel in front of the TV with a bucket and deprime while I hang out with the family. That way I'm not really adding a step on the press, so it doesn't feel like an extra step, to me anyway.

I started saving brass years before starting to reload, so I literally have buckets of the shit. I don't need to dry it quick as I'll never need to load the same brass I'm tumbling, I was just thinking of a way to mass dry with air movement. I did not care for the oven method, too much hassle.

Other than that, I don't feel like wet is any more work than dry. It's so much cleaner and the results are better than sex.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My biggest issue is that ss polishers simply dont do enough at one swoop and the ones that do more than a few hundred are cost prohibitive. Its not unusual for me to process 500 to 1500pcs at a time. Plus the added step of drying impacts my time.

I simply polish over night in walnut with a few teaspoons of watered down polishing compound which works really well. I do decapping and sizing as one process, polish, then prime on a Dillon 550b that has a Lee universal decapping die at station one to clear out the primer hole before pressing the new primer in.

Then I just toss all the primed brass in a 5 gallon bucket and thoroughly clean the press up so that when its time to load I can go pretty quickly without issues.

Galaxy Note II + Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by KellyTTE; 07-01-13 at 09:42.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm pretty OCD, so having perfectly clean brass, without black fingertips and zero gunk & debris on my press is like a little slice of heaven.
    There's no going back.

Every so often, Pappabear will bust out an ammo can full of ammo that I loaded a few years back before I had the Thumlers rollin. YUCK!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Dude, I'm in love.
    We'll that's great to hear. Glad it's working out good for you. I'll have to check into this further.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast