Thread: Upgrade shotty

Feedback Score

Upgrade shotty

I am currently using an 870 police model, but would like to explore adding to the shotgun battery. I'd really like to pick up an Ithaca as that is a design I am familiar with and shoot well (being a lefty the bottom eject is nice.). However I am interested in some of the semi-autos out there. Obviously the Benelli is an option, but what else? I checked the search feature and been trying to read up on line without much success. If folks would part with their wisdom of "this one works for me". I'd appreciate. Its function will be as a home defense gun and shooting mainly buckshot out of it. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Honestly the 870 may be the best hd multi use shotgun made. I have had success with well worked1100s but if i were to stray away from the 870 benelli m4 would be my main direction. I would consider doting and putting a white light on the police gun before i dumped more money into another gun.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a Benelli M4 and a Remington 11-87. I love them both and the semi autos soak up th recoil.

Feedback Score
    Ithacas are neat and I too adore them (see pic below of a few of mine), but not something I'd prefer over an 870 for homeland security. Running a normal ole 870 left or right-handed is not difficult (I'm left handed too). Don't have any gas guns of my own, but have always enjoyed the Remington 1100s and Benelli M4s I've gotten to play with; might get one some day, who knows. Not as cool and flashy feel-good, but sticking with the ole 870 is a great way to go.

L to R 1940, 41, 43, 56, 61, 69, 70 and 71

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The 870 Police is the gold stadard of shotguns, it is to shotguns what the Colt 6920 is to ARs.

If you just want something different I'd look into something semi-auto like a Benneli or even a quality Sagia build but the price point is a lot higher.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randyb View Post
    I am currently using an 870 police model, but would like to explore adding to the shotgun battery. I'd really like to pick up an Ithaca as that is a design I am familiar with and shoot well (being a lefty the bottom eject is nice.). However I am interested in some of the semi-autos out there. Obviously the Benelli is an option, but what else? I checked the search feature and been trying to read up on line without much success. If folks would part with their wisdom of "this one works for me". I'd appreciate. Its function will be as a home defense gun and shooting mainly buckshot out of it. Thanks!
    i have a mossberg 930 20in/9shot. very long. very heavy. love it.

during the panic, i sold a sabre upper and bought a benelli m2 w/ghost ring sights. feels a foot shorter and 5lbs lighter. love it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a lefty as well and have 870p for work. With training I don't feel hampered at all running the gun. My vote is an 1187p, but if money is not an option Benelli.

Feedback Score
    I would have to agree with the Benelli has an option but I haven't seen anyone suggest a Versamax tactical yet. I run one in three gun and it is very soft shooting and haven't had any problems other than when the lifter was welded it started having failure to feed issues but that issue has been resolved by adjusting the lifter. It is basically Benellis inertia system with pistons.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you can find an Ithaca Model 37, it would be a decent shotgun. I had one issued to me before it was replaced by the Remington 870.

The Remington 870 is a durable shotgun. My older brother bought one around 1970 for $50 when they were offered at a discount if you purchased a Singer sewing machine. He hunted and shot clay birds with it. He has averaged roughly 300 rounds per year since he bought it and other than finish wear it runs and looks like a new shotgun.

I started shooting the Remington 870 in 1981, when the U.S. Navy replaced my Ithaca Model 37. I beat the shotgun like a redheaded stepchild and it took everything I threw at it. In the mid 1980's I was issued a heavily used 870 by a LEO agency and shot it until I retired last year. I averaged 50 rounds per year at work and a few hundred rounds per year shooting three gun matches. It never failed me.

The Benelli is a nice shotgun. A few of my friends who shoot three gun matches swear by them. That being said, you cannot beat a Remington 870 for long term reliability.
    Last edited by T2C; 08-26-13 at 20:23.
    Train 2 Win