Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight for pest control. 410 vs 20? sxs vs pump?

Feedback Score

Question Ultralight for pest control. 410 vs 20? sxs vs pump?

I need to get my Dad something to control the pests around the property. Mainly something we can load light enough to take out a bird but not damage the fruit trees or eaves of the house. I was thinking a 410 or 20ga, but I know little about them.

What he has right now is an A5 in 12ga, just a bit overkill.

The 17 HMR has to much range, and does to much damage.

We tried a Gammo pellet gun. He is not fast enough for a snap shot and he is not accurate enough for distance.

1) Needs to be light, and point easy. Dad and Mom are getting older.

2) Needs to hold more than one round. They might need a fallow up shot.

3) Budget is under $400

4) Needs to be under $1 a round.

Are there any cheap double 410s with screw chokes? The idea being load one round cylander for the initial shot, and the second round full for the followup after you spook em off the tree. Maybe use #9 target loads?

Get a 20ga youth model pump? Find someone who makes a really light load? That way he could have say #12 in the chamber and #8 for followup?

Any ideas? I'm surprised Benjamin have not come out with a small PCP shotgun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What about a .22lr rifle? If you aren't shooting birds on the wing it could work.

As far as shotguns, some of the russian and turkish guns that have been brought in could come in at your price range, not as refined but they work reliably.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    A 410 is not less powerful than a 12.. It just throws less shot. GH

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Last edited by Clint; 06-25-13 at 15:43.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I tend to disagree. 410g has no where the distance as the 12g does. Game has to be fairly close to do damage with 410g. Knock down flying geese with 12g. 410g would not even ruffle a goose feather.

Maybe the the first 30 yards it has equal power, if that is what you mean?

OP, I think you and your dad need to shoot friends different caliber rifles and see for yourself. Even a BB gun will damage fruit trees. If you are concerned about the eves of your house getting damaged, you should not be shooting in this area at all and maybe consider a slingshot with a pinch of shelled corn.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    I tend to disagree. 410g has no where the distance as the 12g does. Game has to be fairly close to do damage with 410g. Knock down flying geese with 12g. 410g would not even ruffle a goose feather.

Maybe the the first 30 yards it has equal power, if that is what you mean?

OP, I think you and your dad need to shoot friends different caliber rifles and see for yourself. Even a BB gun will damage fruit trees. If you are concerned about the eves of your house getting damaged, you should not be shooting in this area at all and maybe consider a slingshot with a pinch of shelled corn.
    An X weight pellet driven to Y velocity does NOT know what gauge gun it was fired from!! Yes 1-1/2 oz puts more lead in the sky than 1/2 oz but the killing power of each pellet is the same. GH

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    An X weight pellet driven to Y velocity does NOT know what gauge gun it was fired from!! Yes 1-1/2 oz puts more lead in the sky than 1/2 oz but the killing power of each pellet is the same. GH
    Your first post:

The 12 goes much farther than the 410. It seems to me the 12 has more power (gunpowder) per oz of shot than the 410 which makes the 12 a more powerful shotgun IMHO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

I agree with your suggestion of ratshot, OP's best bet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    At least in my experience, range for that rat shot is very limited. Maybe try some 9 shot out of either the .410 or 20 gauge. If you have the capability to reload very light that might be your best bet.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What exactly does he need to dispatch and at what range?
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast