Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load development: one load, different barrel lengths

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    This is good to know. What is the muzzle velocity, extreme spread and standard deviation out of a 20" barrel?
    I'll have to get back to you. The book is at home.... and I went ape shit chronoing everything when I got my magnetospeed last month.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolf59 View Post
    I tried searching for this with no luck.

If you wanted to develop a given load to work in multiple ARs with different barrel lengths, but same twist, which barrel length would you use for initial development?

I expect the responses will be something like "whichever rifle you expect to shoot the load in the most". But, let's suppose it is equal amounts between all lengths. Does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance!
    In my opinion there are just to many variables to your question, . I guess I would start with which ever rifle has the most propensity for consistency and once the load is GTG there move to another platform and check your results, I see you doing a lot of back and forth, so I would choose the best group average with one load from all rifles.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    ...which barrel length would you use for initial development?
    Three barrels and two loads in my case: 18" SPR Barrel , 16" CL, & 14.5" CL.

77 gr loads were worked up in the SPR 18" barrel. Follow up testing in the other two with needed adjustments to any standard zeros noted.

I only have one other standard reload - a 55 gr "practice load". It was just put together based on a popular standard powder charge - no serious workup involved other than to chronograph and verify it's acceptable for the intended uses in all three rifles. It's for CQ drills and running out to ~300 Meters.

Feedback Score
    "the most propensity for consistency" - that's a good thought!

Thanks for all the great responses, and Happy 4th!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12