Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forward Assist?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ex_soldier1911
    Lets not forget, if we didn't have the FA, we would have to change SPORTS to SPORS.
    Heheh, now that would be odd after having SPORTS rattle through my mind a million times over the last 12 years.

That said, and assuming proper PMCS and staked BCGs and whatnot. What immediate action drills are taught in the latest, greatest, civillian ran classes? And if it is the case, and or consensous, what is wrong with SPORTS for your IAD's?

Being an 11B for so long, I can't count the times the FA has kept me running. From -20 frozen up sluggish cycling at the NWTC, to sand caked failure to lock stoppages at NTC, the FA has served me well.

The FA is there for a reason, and when your in the heat of the action, a proper diagnosis of your stoppage is not possible. PFC Miller is a classic case of this in action, that FA saved his ass. Yes, his stoppages were most likely his fault for shoddy PMCS, which is a leadership issue, but at that moment it didn't matter. What did is he knew what to do, and did so in conjunction with his FA.
    TANT QUE JE PUIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclic240B
    What immediate action drills are taught in the latest, greatest, civillian ran classes? And if it is the case, and or consensous, what is wrong with SPORTS for your IAD's?
    If you're in handgun range and have a handgun then the IAD is to transition to the sidearm. Failing that, the drill with both pistols and carbines is tap-rack-assess. Make sure the mag is fully seated, manually cycle the action, get back on target. If it fails to fire on the second attempt then ditch the mag, manually cycle a couple times to make sure there's not a spent case in the chamber then load a fresh mag and get back on target.

ETA that there's nothing 'wrong' with SPORTS, it's just that TRA is faster, can be performed without taking the firing hand off the grip and it handles the majority of problems.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There is a school of thought that PUSH/PULL is used rather than TAP to ensure the magazine is properly seated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner
    There is a school of thought that PUSH/PULL is used rather than TAP to ensure the magazine is properly seated.
    I did descibe it as "make sure the mag is fully seated" and "tap, rack, bang" sounds better than "push/pull, rack, assess" regardless of which is more technically accurate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    TRB (Tap Rack Bang)

While I think Push Pull works for intial loading, I dont see the use honeslty in trying to get the gun back in the fight.

And Tap does not mean mash the crap out of the mag, as you can cause all sorts of worse issues with that.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    get a visit from the Ghost o' Posts Past?

Feedback Score
    The forward assist was one of the things added when the rifle went from the M-16 to the M-16 A1. Remember, the Military thought the M-16 did not need to be cleaned. Due to lack of cleaning kits and proper pm rifles were malfunctioning in Viet Nam. One of the fixes the Army wanted was the forward assist. At that time they taught you to insert mag, release/charge the bolt and strike forward assist twice. This technique was taught when I went basic in 19** (a really long time ago and long before the A2's.) Ok, it was 1973.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post
    At that time they taught you to insert mag, release/charge the bolt and strike forward assist twice. This technique was taught when I went basic in 19** (a really long time ago and long before the A2's.) Ok, it was 1973.
    I think it all depends on what BCT company you were in. I did Basic at Ft. Leonard Wood in 1973 and we weren't taught to hit the FA, but I knew other guys that were (in my permanent duty station)... or, maybe I had KP the day that subject was addressed.
    Last edited by ThirdWatcher; 07-26-10 at 03:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry for the necropost someone linked to it from another board and I did not see the date stamp - someone kick me.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The info is still good. No expiration date.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast