Thread: Fireclean with AR15

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well, I treated 1 M4. It felt pretty crappy compared to Froglube that was on the gun before I removed it with Froglube cleaner**** and acetone before applying the Fireclean, VERY gritty. Meh. Anyway, I just took that same M4 out and cycled it a few times (half a day later). Very very different feel to it, different sound to it, everything. It feels a LOT! slicker, and there is no grater/gritty sound from the buffer spring/tube. All it did was sit in the closet, and I coated the hell out of it initially. It's not like anything migrated to a dry area. Was soaked to begin with. I'm not sure what occurred, but time seems like a legitimate factor in how well the weapon felt. I have not shot it yet, just hand-cycled before putting it away, and hand-cycled again just now. I just went and cycled it again. I remember thinking "Wow, this feels like crap compared to my other rifle with less rounds through it using *Brand X* lubricant". Now, I felt them side by side cycling (all they did was sit in the closet, nothing fouled anything), and I cannot tell a difference between the two. I don't understand it, but it is what it is. After sitting for 12 hours, FireClean feels radically different on the gun. Weird. I want to call bullshit on "conditioning", but it's really hard to after feeling the difference 12 hours can make. I still don't understand it, but I'm holding it, so it is what it is.

**** (horrible stuff, DO NOT BUY THIS. When I got it, I sprayed some and it was nice. In 2 months, it has gone rancid and smells like shit. I mean, it's bad. Think laundry that you forgot in the washer for a week. Fetid musty odor. I felt guilty spraying it in the side even though I live alone. Foul. Sorry, but that's just rancid)

*I am re-evaluating FireClean. Initially, I shied away from it due to poor performance compared to other lubricants when any salt was present, or the metal part was in contact with a wet object. However, in the 100% humidity test I performed, it did very well, and I have not seen people shooting corrosive ammo having any more issues with with than any other product, and it does seem to offer some benefits regarding fouling, and burn-off.
    Last edited by WS6; 10-17-13 at 10:52.