Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireclean with AR15

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's another thread where Magpul and KAC speak highly of Fire Clean. And then there's this test.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

"Cleaning and Lubrication

A cleaning and lubrication schedule was followed – at 2,500 and 7,500 rounds, the bolt carrier group was wiped down with a paper towel, and at 5,000 rounds, a detailed cleaning was undertaken. A single drop of FireClean lubricant was applied to the cam pin hole of the bolt carrier group every 1,000 rounds, and six drops were used after each of the aforementioned cleaning intervals. Certain small parts were replaced as needed, and they will be discussed later in the article. After all initial tests were complete, the bulk of the shooting commenced."
    Last edited by Boss Hogg; 07-24-13 at 16:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Perhaps the "honey" analogy was a bad one. Eezox has a very low coefficient of friction and the film is very slippery. I was only referring to its viscosity.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just started using this based on reading the recommendations in this thread and so far I am very impressed. Admittedly I am a bit of a lube connoisseur - or should I say always trying the latest and greatest - but I really like the various lubricants that seem to "stay" where you put them. Last week it was a balmy 108 here in Las Vegas and at my local range where there was no shade and my rifle was hot enough it was hard to handle without gloves, the Fireclean seemed to really stay put and keep from any form of "cook-off." The particular rifle I was shooting was already quite smooth as it has around 4K rounds through it, but the Fireclean does seem to slick up the action a bit. I am going to go at least 1K through the rifles I have applied it to and evaluate it more then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    Perhaps the "honey" analogy was a bad one. Eezox has a very low coefficient of friction and the film is very slippery. I was only referring to its viscosity.
    And why that is great for a strictly Maritime environment - sand and dusty areas kill those types of lubes.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    There's another thread where Magpul and KAC speak highly of Fire Clean. And then there's this test.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

"Cleaning and Lubrication

A cleaning and lubrication schedule was followed – at 2,500 and 7,500 rounds, the bolt carrier group was wiped down with a paper towel, and at 5,000 rounds, a detailed cleaning was undertaken. A single drop of FireClean lubricant was applied to the cam pin hole of the bolt carrier group every 1,000 rounds, and six drops were used after each of the aforementioned cleaning intervals. Certain small parts were replaced as needed, and they will be discussed later in the article. After all initial tests were complete, the bulk of the shooting commenced."
    Hands down, one of the best reads I've seen. If I wasn't so new to this (or any) forums, I would +1 you (if it existed, but this isn't google chrome).
    Last edited by zeusturtle; 07-27-13 at 15:44.

Feedback Score

the barrel too?

Read over this thread and watched a video from fireclean's site and then read the part of their application that said, " FIREClean removes carbon and lead fouling but does not remove copper fouling".

But I never came across anyone actually applying it down the barrel with a patch or whatever as a bore cleaner. I am assuming that it's okay, but do you leave it or run dry patches through after?
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Read over this thread and watched a video from fireclean's site and then read the part of their application that said, " FIREClean removes carbon and lead fouling but does not remove copper fouling".

But I never came across anyone actually applying it down the barrel with a patch or whatever as a bore cleaner. I am assuming that it's okay, but do you leave it or run dry patches through after?
    Read the last couple paragraphs from Jason Falla's post in his 'Ask the SME' section. He is using it that way. Clean the fouling out of the bore with FireClean, leave it wet, wipe it dry before firing again.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=108328

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    Ok, we get it. You love Eezox!
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Well I cannot talk about the other ones, but in my experience Unicorn Jizz is the most quality coating out there. Bar None.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Not really necessary.
    Simple generous application is sufficient.

I still use KG1 for heavy cleaning and save the FC for lube.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    I have recently discovered that this is not the best way to approach cleaning.

As stated before, stripping the gun of all oils/lubricants/cleaners is needed to get the initial treatment of the metal with FC. If during application you see the FC beading up, there is residual oil that is preventing contact that needs to be removed. FC will still work as a lube and limit carbon adherence, but it won't be as effective as it could be.

Mixing petroleum based products with non-petroleum products robs each of their utility. Better than nothing, but not optimal. Also, FC seems to shed carbon better the longer it is used, if it is used alone.

Basically, by cleaning with KG1 I was apparently removing the treatment and starting at zero with every cleaning. This was most notable on the bolt tail and suppressor mounting device.

I am going to start using it for bore maintenance after some reports of limiting the carbon/copper layers in precision rifles and putting them under a bore-scope to see how effective it is over time.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    If I missed it I apologize, has anyone used FC in colder temps? Any issues?
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast