Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireclean with AR15

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    If I missed it I apologize, has anyone used FC in colder temps? Any issues?
    What part of AK are you in? I'm in Fairbanks and have an SR15 that has been lubed with Fireclean since day one out of the box, and nothing else. I plan on leaving my gun outside overnight the first time it hits -40 this winter and doing on write-up on the results.
    "Remember, if it doesn't violate the BYU Honor Code, it's not worth doing"
    -Daniel Tosh

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    If I missed it I apologize, has anyone used FC in colder temps? Any issues?
    I have tested it in my freezer and initially determined that it performs very well down to -10*F, thickening like a syrup, but still being quite liquid. One thing I did notice with it, however, is that it seemed to combine with condensation, and then it would indeed freeze solid. I discovered this by leaving it in the freezer for 24 hours or so (a few de-frost cycles) and noting that even around 0*F, it had frozen pretty firm, and was white instead of clear. My only thought is that it combined with the water/condensation to do so. I casually tried mixing it with water, and it wouldn't, very well, so this may indeed not be it, but it's all I can think of.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have recently discovered that this is not the best way to approach cleaning.

As stated before, stripping the gun of all oils/lubricants/cleaners is needed to get the initial treatment of the metal with FC. If during application you see the FC beading up, there is residual oil that is preventing contact that needs to be removed. FC will still work as a lube and limit carbon adherence, but it won't be as effective as it could be.

Mixing petroleum based products with non-petroleum products robs each of their utility. Better than nothing, but not optimal. Also, FC seems to shed carbon better the longer it is used, if it is used alone.

Basically, by cleaning with KG1 I was apparently removing the treatment and starting at zero with every cleaning. This was most notable on the bolt tail and suppressor mounting device.

I am going to start using it for bore maintenance after some reports of limiting the carbon/copper layers in precision rifles and putting them under a bore-scope to see how effective it is over time.
    I drop the bolt and carrier in my ultrasonic, so that is pretty good for "stripping" oils and solvents. When I drop the clean bolt into the FireClean (which is in an old pill bottle just tall enough to submerge it) it comes out glistening----but not beading up. I suspend it over the bottle to let the excess run off and then wipe the carrier down with it and put 'er back together.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 09-18-13 at 22:28.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Anybody find a lowest price with shipping on the web? Maybe a group buy? I'd like to try it for the lowest price possible.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
    Anybody find a lowest price with shipping on the web? Maybe a group buy? I'd like to try it for the lowest price possible.
    This is an interesting proposition.
    I'll see if I can contact them about the idea.

No idea at all if this is possible.
    Will update.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well, i repeated my experiment. Maybe I just did not wait long enough. The FireClean after several hours at -10-0*F is frozen like old ice-cream and is white and opaque. It melts at touch.

Feedback Score
    It seems to dry up or soak in very fast . I keep applying it but its gone in a few days. How long should it stay wet if I put a good amount on?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybirdritenour2 View Post
    It seems to dry up or soak in very fast . I keep applying it but its gone in a few days. How long should it stay wet if I put a good amount on?
    According to Fireclean, it is absorbing into the pores of the finish on the metal.

As a reference point, I am performing an on-going corrosion test with FireClean on a bare nail. It is still apparently coating the surface of said nail after almost a month, albeit thinly, but thus-far effectively.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybirdritenour2 View Post
    I find that odd.
    One of the reasons I like FC is that it stays around.
    Don't know if you might need to do a more thorough degrease.
    Then again, it might be a difference in our application volume.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just ordered some.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast