Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireclean with AR15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    What part of AK are you in? I'm in Fairbanks and have an SR15 that has been lubed with Fireclean since day one out of the box, and nothing else. I plan on leaving my gun outside overnight the first time it hits -40 this winter and doing on write-up on the results.
    We moved from Fairbanks to Valdez... A lot warmer here, but I still predator hunt in the interior, so I'm definitely curious to see how FC will react to real cold... Heard you guys got snow the other day, and so it begins...
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I find that odd.
    One of the reasons I like FC is that it stays around.
    Don't know if you might need to do a more thorough degrease.
    Then again, it might be a difference in our application volume.
    I put quite a bit on. Just the way I lube my guns. Now in a few days enough is gone where I feel the friction again. When I look at it so much is gone it looks like it is just a thin coat soaking in the metal. I like the slickness it has when first applied but not liking it after a few days so far. Maybe I will try to degrease better. I used the Frog lube spray cleaner which seemed to get the metal very dry but maybe not enough or something.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've been using FrogLube for a year or so now and have been pleased with it. I used to heat up the parts with a hair dryer when applying the lube. Now I've gotten to where I do the same thing jonconsiglio mentioned a couple of pages back. Wipe everything down, put on FL, reassemble and cycle the action a couple of times. I might give Fireclean a try though just to see what all the fuss is about.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybirdritenour2 View Post
    I put quite a bit on. Just the way I lube my guns. Now in a few days enough is gone where I feel the friction again. When I look at it so much is gone it looks like it is just a thin coat soaking in the metal.
    Gotcha.
    For storage I maintain a light coat and prior to use I add a few drops to friction points.
    I'm not sure that it is the "slipperiest" of lubricants, though that isn't the main desirability point for my use. My preference for it comes through it's ability to reduce carbon accumulation, easier carbon removal, and continued presence during suppressed firing, while being non-toxic.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Gotcha.
    For storage I maintain a light coat and prior to use I add a few drops to friction points.
    I'm not sure that it is the "slipperiest" of lubricants, though that isn't the main desirability point for my use. My preference for it comes through it's ability to reduce carbon accumulation, easier carbon removal, and continued presence during suppressed firing, while being non-toxic.
    That is my concern. If it goes away that much in a few days then how long will it last where I can just pick up my rifle and use it without having to oil again. Or do you oil every time you use it?I would hate to need it for a self defense reason a couple months down the road and get malfunctions because it is completely dry. I am looking for all the same stuff as you and especially the suppressed fire and being non toxic.
    Last edited by jaybirdritenour2; 09-19-13 at 16:04.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I tend to put 2-3 drops in the BCG holes, cycle it a few times, shoot a couple hundred rounds suppressed, wipe the bcg with those blue shop towels, then store mostly dry as-is (with fireclean still in the pores of the metal since I didn't degrease)... repeat. The act of cycling it tends to get fireclean EVERYWHERE.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 09-19-13 at 16:18.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    It does seem to stay on my Knights bolt group way better than my Colt. The Colt one just soaks it up quickly no matter how many coats?? But there is enough left on my receiver walls to have a little less friction than being dry.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    What part of AK are you in? I'm in Fairbanks and have an SR15 that has been lubed with Fireclean since day one out of the box, and nothing else. I plan on leaving my gun outside overnight the first time it hits -40 this winter and doing on write-up on the results.
    When did you pick up the SR15?!

My thoughts on using FIREClean for over 2 years now up here in Alaska.

http://www.thealaskalife.com/guns/fireclean-gun-oil/
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think -26F was as low as I went. Frankly, even though I love hunting and training, I doubt I will use it much colder than that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybirdritenour2 View Post
    It does seem to stay on my Knights bolt group way better than my Colt. The Colt one just soaks it up quickly no matter how many coats?? But there is enough left on my receiver walls to have a little less friction than being dry.
    I thought Fireclean mentioned something about this on one of their videos, about how certain metals will "absorb" more of the lube than others, but eventually when the metal becomes saturated you will have a nice film left on the surface. I could me making that up, though...

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast