Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireclean with AR15

Feedback Score
    I dunno how it will react with existing lubes. At minimum, I'd hose everything off with brake cleaner first.
    The OCD cleaning I tried may not be beneficial? I really don't know? All I can say is after extensive cleaning, it took more coats to maintain the sheen after a day sitting there.

Feedback Score
    Do you use a light coat all over as a preservative, too, or still rub down the outside with a normal oily rag?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well, here's an environmental test. Rand CLP and Fireclean and an unprotected nail sit yonder...

Last edited by WS6; 10-31-13 at 04:20.

Feedback Score
    I used it on the bolt tail to see how it would remove the carbon. I was not impressed. I was using a paper towel and working the towel and Fireclean around the tail. Very little carbon came off on the towel. I then tried some Breakfree CLP and it was much more effective. Granted, I did not initially coat the bolt or other parts of the gun before using the Fireclean and maybe if coated first it would prevent carbon buildup. But as far as a cleaner/solvent is concerned, Breakfree CLP gave me much better results.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevcrist View Post
    I used it on the bolt tail to see how it would remove the carbon. I was not impressed. I was using a paper towel and working the towel and Fireclean around the tail. Very little carbon came off on the towel. I then tried some Breakfree CLP and it was much more effective. Granted, I did not initially coat the bolt or other parts of the gun before using the Fireclean and maybe if coated first it would prevent carbon buildup. But as far as a cleaner/solvent is concerned, Breakfree CLP gave me much better results.
    I've mainly found that it does great on soft carbon. Like that on and in the rest of the bcg, or my suppressed .22 pistol. It keeps that pistol from getting gritty feeling when cycled. I was not impressed with how it did on supressor baffles in the .22 can, or bolt tails, but it truly is superior to anything I've tried on keeping the action slick.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    That's like complaining that your anti lock breaks didn't help when you stomped on them after hitting the tree.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I don't think it's meant to dissolve existing carbon, it might, but I really don't know. I think the base layer helps keep carbon from initially bonding to surfaces as bad to untreated surfaces. The carbon soot wipes off pretty good on treated surfaces with a rag oiled with it pretty well. The carbon on the tail of the bolt and inside the carrier is self limiting anyway. If you have a corrosion concern under the carbon in those areas, OCD cleaning in a bath of MPro-7 in a ultrasonic cleaner followed by a 99%IPA solution for a while, with a protective film of oil that follows.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    That's like complaining that your anti lock breaks didn't help when you stomped on them after hitting the tree.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Not according to their claims of intensive carbon removal.

Feedback Score
    The bottle does say it works as an all-in-one cleaner, lube, etc. My 2 were already clean, however. Had one area on one of them that I missed pretty badly, though, and the Fireclean seemed to do at least a decent job (didn't try any other cleaners for comparison, though). Both cycle the smoothest they ever have.

While I didn't do more than thoroughly wipe each rifle down before application, we'll see how they do next time I get to the range. One's a .22 and gets particularly dirty--I'm really hoping it lives up to even half the hype in this thread.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rikakiah; 11-02-13 at 22:39.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    You need to give the Fireclean time to work in a case like that. Saturate the carbon build-up area and let it sit for a while. Eventually the Fireclean will break the caked on carbon up. Even when I clean my BCG really well before an initial application of Fireclean, there will be residual carbon that comes loose a few days to a week later. That is the Fireclean working its' way into the metal and loosening the residual carbon at the same time. I believe they even say to expect this in the instructions.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast