Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireclean with AR15

Feedback Score
    If Fireclean is a cleaner why would there be a need to pre-clean with a degreaser before applying it.?

Why can't you simply clean off whatever you've been using with Fireclean and lube with it too?

Or, am I overlooking something?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    For best results, you have to clean off any oil/grease before applying FireClean. That oil is bonding to the metal substrate and prevents FireClean from bonding to it. FireClean is not a degreaser, so it won't displace whatever is on the surface. FireClean works best when applied on a clean, degreased surface. That doesn't mean it won't work otherwise; it simply does better without anything else interfering with it bonding to the metal.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    If Fireclean is a cleaner why would there be a need to pre-clean with a degreaser before applying it.?

Why can't you simply clean off whatever you've been using with Fireclean and lube with it too?

Or, am I overlooking something?

Thanks!
    According to the folks at Fireclean it is "incompatible," with other lubricants. I would take this to mean that when mixed some other lubricants or oils it looses or lessens it's ability to lubricate and penetrate down to the metal surface. Let's keep in mind that there is a myriad of other oils and lubricants on the market so who knows one product is going to interact with every other product on the market. Fireclean is also not a degreaser, and I don't know of any lubricant that is, so it will not remove existing lube/oils.

As long as your BCG was relatively free of other oils or lubes, then you could probably just apply it and go. The thing to remember is that the key to Fireclean working well is for it to get down to the metal surface. Cleaning the BCG fairly well (rubbing alcohol at a minimum) will get you to that point fairly quickly. Applying FC to a carbon covered BCG will take longer as it takes time for the FC to get through the carbon and down to the metal surfaces. It will eventually get there, but might take some soaking, or multiple applications.

Feedback Score

Fireclean with AR15

I really don't know why?
    Just adding it to a fouled rifle that was lubed initially with something different did nothing special at all.
    Half ass wipe down cleaning, then applying it wasn't so great either.
    Pretty clean, then apply it a couple times over a couple days until it kept a sheen worked pretty well.
    When I went overboard OCD on the cleaning. Parts washer, hand clean, brake clean, all multiple times. Then ultrasonic clean it in Mpro7 for longer than needed, quick ultra sonic rinse in deionized water (you can tell there's a film of something coming off in the water). Shake off excess water and drop parts directly in 99.9% IPA, let it soak for a while. Dry everything out really good. Then apply coats until the shine stays, or soak them to get it on there. I'm pretty sure that gives the best results initially.
    What would interest me the most is just doing the pretty clean, not OCD method. Keep using the oil as CLP, and see if the results improve over time. That OCD cleaning is nuts.
    Last edited by tom12.7; 11-08-13 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    What is the bolt material and finish coating?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm getting better results with my OCD cleaning, then many coats over some days to get it really soaked in. I've also stuck a bolt in the corner of a heavy freezer bag and left it soaking for a week. The stuff works pretty good, but it seems you got to get it really clean and really soaked in to get the best results.
    The longer I use it, the better it works. I could make some assumptions, which I am very hesitant to do without hard data, but it seems that the heating and cooling cycles bolstered by reapplication during cleaning and lubricating is where the stuff is giving the performance that I am seeing. During my initial use (put on a wiped off bolt) I was happy, but not overwhelmed. Once I was using it on a thoroughly degreased gun exclusively, the carbon that was present was easier to remove and less was needed to maintain sufficient lubrication during extended suppressed firing sessions.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've never seen so much hype over a lube in all my internet life.

I bought a bottle... treated a brand new unfired build. I'd already lubed everything up with my normal oil... but that might very well have helped when I sprayed eveything down with brake cleaner- probably diluted what gummy steel preservative was left in the parkerize, allowing it to strip cleaner when I hosed it off.

Will hopefully get to the range in the next few days and see what happens. If I'm impressed at all, I'll be pretty impressed... but if the hype is only half true, perhaps I will have to concede that a proprietary mix can be worth $8 an ounce.

Not holding my breath!

Feedback Score
    ^you should follow proper application instructions... If you go through the entire thread, most folks converted to it followed instructions and those that didnt, got marginal results. I have yet to try it but if youre giving it a go, you ought to atleast give it a real chance to work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    ^you should follow proper application instructions... If you go through the entire thread, most folks converted to it followed instructions and those that didnt, got marginal results. I have yet to try it but if youre giving it a go, you ought to atleast give it a real chance to work.
    I followed the directions.

Feedback Score
    Oh alright. My bad.

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast