Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Fireclean with AR15

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoe View Post
    hmmm...I had a bad experience with Frog lube; the stuff got very sticky and gummed up the action etc. (the rifle was cleaned properly prior to application). I've read great things about FireClean and am contemplating trying it out. However, the above comment regarding fireclean and sticky/gummed up action gives me pause. Slip EWL is just so solid. hard for me to pull away from it. Those of you who have used both Slip 2000 EWL and Fireclean care to chime in on appreciable differences between the two lubricants?
    I wouldn't say that it necessarily "gummed up" the action, but that it was slightly sticky to the touch. I have used Slip 2000 and FC and would say cleaning is easier with the FC. It really does clean up rather remarkably with just wiping down with a rag or shop towel. I may be able to tell more of a difference once I apply it correctly, haha.

Feedback Score
    I'm interested in trying this, but curious about degreasing. I've seen several folks mention brake cleaner. However, the FireClean site suggests using rubbing alcohol. Is there any benefit to awful smelling brake cleaner?

Also, I've been using BreakFree Cleaning Foam for my bore lately. It makes cleaning ridiculously easy. With FireClean, how do you clean the bore?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexanInCali View Post
    Also, I've been using BreakFree Cleaning Foam for my bore lately. It makes cleaning ridiculously easy. With FireClean, how do you clean the bore?
    You can use FC. Make sure it's clean initially, then run a patch with a few drops of FC on it through the bore. Let it sit then run dry patches through until completely dry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexanInCali View Post
    I'm interested in trying this, but curious about degreasing. I've seen several folks mention brake cleaner. However, the FireClean site suggests using rubbing alcohol. Is there any benefit to awful smelling brake cleaner?

Someone a few pages back said brake cleaner leaves a residue behind. Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a clean, dry surface for FireClean application? Stick with what the manufacturer recommends: isopropyl rubbing alcohol.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I have used both. Fire clean gets a little thicker as it sits on my rifles but not that nasty gummy substance the Frog lube gets to and Im not talking about the way they state Frog lube is supposed to dry to a wax, it turns nasty after awhile. But I might not have gotten my parts as clean either before the fire clean. I was using MPRO 7 and I used MPRO 7 cleaner to clean it before applying the fire clean so who knows. I like the Fire clean much better.
    Last edited by jaybirdritenour2; 08-02-14 at 14:01.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I didn't notice any residue from brake cleaner. I would've used alcohol had I known, but the brake cleaner appeared to work fine for me.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'll use alcohol to be safe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Someone a few pages back said brake cleaner leaves a residue behind. Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a clean, dry surface for FireClean application? Stick with what the manufacturer recommends: isopropyl rubbing alcohol.
    brake cleaner should not leave a residue, other wise it could absorb into the brake pads and compromise braking ability. either they were using some garbage brake cleaner or they accidentaly used carb cleaner which can leave a residue.

the only issue i can forsee with brake cleaner or other heavy duty residue free solvent is a potential for flash rusting if the metal isnt treated soon after degreasing. similar situation to removing parts from a parkerizing tank and not dousing them with rust preventative immediately after washing the park solution off.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There's brake cleaner with chlorine in it, and non-chlorinated.

Use non-chlorinated. It'll say so on the label on the can, or read the ingredients, also on the can.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    There's brake cleaner with chlorine in it, and non-chlorinated.

Use non-chlorinated. It'll say so on the label on the can, or read the ingredients, also on the can.
    FWIW it wouldn't think the chlorinated stuff should matter, the main ingredient is Tetrachloroethylene which I believe is the same stuff that brownells sells expressly for degreasing parts for parking or spray on finishes (gunkote, cerecote, etc.)

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod1157.aspx

Either way, I avoid chlorinated cleaners myself due to possible dangers of phosgene gas produced by welding in the vicinity of parts cleaned with chlorine based degreasers. Maybe a non-issue in the small amounts I use in my garage, but I'm not one to take too many chances on producing poisonous, colorless gases. Welding itself produces enough noxious fumes.

YMMV
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast