Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 304

Thread: Fireclean with AR15

  1. #81
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,004
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I know you told me before, but I'm drawing a blank, where are you? A couple hours north of me, right?
    Up near Beaumont, more like NE from you. Its about a 4hr drive.

    Im actually in a town called Port Neches which is like 7 min closer than beaumont, but no one has ever heard of this place because the only thing out here are the refineries, major sea port, and the jails/prisons lol.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 07-23-13 at 17:02.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,141
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    The best protectant I have found is Eezox. It is also a much better lube than it is given credit for. If properly applied it dries to a film that stays put and only goes away if removed with a solvent. I've been using it since 1994. I keep trying the "latest and greatest" but I haven't found anything that works better.

    Some people object to the triclor it uses as a thinner/solvent but unless you are constantly exposed to it it is a non issue for me.
    M4 type weapons need a fluid lube for best performance.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    390
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I disagree re wet lube requirements for ARs. There are "dry films" which I do agree are not the best choice for an AR (except for special conditions). There are other lubes that are not "wet" like TW25 grease or Tetra Grease that are reported to work very well.

    The film Eezox leaves is more like a wax and it can also be applied so a "wet" film remains. IME the wet film persists for months and remains after several hundred rounds are fired. Unlike Frog Lube, Seal One and their like, Eezox has excellent extreme pressure lube properties and it continues to provide excellent corrosion protection even if it is "wiped dry".

    Try it and tell me what you think.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,141
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    I disagree re wet lube requirements for ARs. There are "dry films" which I do agree are not the best choice for an AR (except for special conditions). There are other lubes that are not "wet" like TW25 grease or Tetra Grease that are reported to work very well.

    The film Eezox leaves is more like a wax and it can also be applied so a "wet" film remains. IME the wet film persists for months and remains after several hundred rounds are fired. Unlike Frog Lube, Seal One and their like, Eezox has excellent extreme pressure lube properties and it continues to provide excellent corrosion protection even if it is "wiped dry".

    Try it and tell me what you think.
    I've wanted to try it, but have not seen it for sale. I guess I could google and get it, but have also read that it is very* toxic. My hands have issues with plain CLP from BreakFree. Part of the reason I went to Rand CLP (and why others have gone with Froglube/FireClean) is because of the lack of harsh odor and carcinogens and other nasties. When I shoot suppressed, I get crap blown back in my face. None of that makes me happy, but I would rather it be FireClean/Froglube/Rand than Eezox, because I could care less about wear and tear on my rifle if it's going to end up increasing---even the slightest bit---my risk of lung cancer or something over using a different product that may allow a micron more wear or something.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-24-13 at 02:13.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    390
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I understand your health concerns. If you do need to use it in a way that involves hand exposure I use nitrile gloves, but then I use gloves when I am going to be in contact with most gun solvents. Once the solvent flashes off there is nothing to "blow back etc". It is probably more stable than most other gun lubes because it has a specific gravity of more than 1.3. It is heavy and stays on the surface.

    Go here and read about it: http://eezox.com/gun-care.html

    Back in the mid 1990s I spoke with the inventor of Eezox. He was a retired engineer who IIRC had worked for Texaco developing additives for high endurance turbine oils. He was an avid salt water fisherman and wanted a lube/protectant that would work on his expensive fishing reels,
    Last edited by DBR; 07-24-13 at 02:42.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,141
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    I understand your health concerns. If you do need to use it in a way that involves hand exposure I use nitrile gloves, but then I use gloves when I am going to be in contact with most gun solvents. Once the solvent flashes off there is nothing to "blow back etc". It is probably more stable than most other gun lubes because it has a specific gravity of more than 1.3. It is heavy and stays on the surface.

    Go here and read about it: http://eezox.com/gun-care.html

    Back in the mid 1990s I spoke with the inventor of Eezox. He was a retired engineer who IIRC had worked for Texaco developing additives for high endurance turbine oils. He was an avid salt water fisherman and wanted a lube/protectant that would work on his expensive fishing reels,
    When hot gasses get on the BCG from backwash down a bore of a suppressed weapon + gas cycling the action, it's going to produce vapor. That vapor from Eezox is toxic. I would just rather not, considering that it's not necessary.

    http://www.eezox.info/msds.html
    Last edited by WS6; 07-24-13 at 03:42.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    390
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You do understand that the only potentially toxic ingredient according to the MSDS is the triclor - right. It is gone shortly after the Eezox is applied - it is very volatile. The remaining ester compounds are similar to what is used in Fire Clean, Rand CLP and many other modern gun lubes.
    Last edited by DBR; 07-24-13 at 03:53.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,141
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    You do understand that the only potentially toxic ingredient according to the MSDS is the triclor - right. It is gone shortly after the Eezox is applied - it is very volatile. The remaining ester compounds are similar to what is used in Fire Clean, Rand CLP and many other modern gun lubes.
    Interesting. I still do not feel that a dry lube can be nearly as effective as a fluid lubricant. What carries the carbon gunk out of the mechanism?

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    390
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A couple of points: The way I use Eezox on my ARs is to apply it with a small brush and leave a wet layer on the parts. When the solvent flashes off what is left behind has the consistency of honey and while it will migrate some it leaves a very persistent film that looks wet. Once the parts have been "seasoned" with Eezox cleanup is just a wipe down. The carbon doesn't adhere to the metal anymore.

    Eezox is stable to at least 450*F so it is unlikely it will vaporize anywhere in the receiver of an AR. Because of its consistency it doesn't blow off surfaces either.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,004
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    A couple of points: The way I use Eezox on my ARs is to apply it with a small brush and leave a wet layer on the parts. When the solvent flashes off what is left behind has the consistency of honey and while it will migrate some it leaves a very persistent film that looks wet. Once the parts have been "seasoned" with Eezox cleanup is just a wipe down. The carbon doesn't adhere to the metal anymore.

    Eezox is stable to at least 450*F so it is unlikely it will vaporize anywhere in the receiver of an AR. Because of its consistency it doesn't blow off surfaces either.
    That sounds horrible. Ill stick to lubricants that leave a wet slick feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •