Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P-10

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Smith & Wesson M&P-10

The M&P10 seems to be a awesome package for the price. Picked up an AR10A before these hit the stores, have yet to go out and play with it.

Feedback Score
    We have sold a few of the M&P10 rifles and have positive reviews.

I have an AR10A2 already, but do want to pick up a carbine 7.62 NATO in the future. The M&P10 may be it, but I am going to wait a bit. Here is why:

S&W hit a home run, IMO, from the barrel back. I like the light weight barrel profile, but I dislike the gas block and flash suppressor and barrel journal. Why? The gas block is too small front to rear, as such the journal is also small which seems to preclude the replacement with a standard FSB. The muzzle device just adds too much length to the barrel. For comparison a SIG 716 with stock fully extended is about the same length as the M&P10 with the stock collapsed.

What I am waiting for (not holding my breath): A M&P10 with a 7.62 A2 style muzzle device, standard A2 FSB (or GB that allows replacement with such). Not too much to ask for, right? Even the muzzle device is not needed as that is just a swap....

Anyway, here is a quick pro/con list:

Pro:
    Ambi controls - everything except charging handle
    Magazine - PMag compatible
    Cheap furniture - keeps cost down
    S&W lifetime warranty
    5R rifling/Melonite barrel
    Weight - this thing is stupid light
    Price - we are selling them at $1395.00 right now (don't ask, this is not a sales pitch)

Cons:
    Muzzle device - may be 100% effective, but it very long (think M14 long) and makes a very light carbine into a very light rifle
    Handguards - while a pro above, they have no heat shield, can you say toasty?
    Gas block - small and the journal appears to be equally small possibly nixing any future upgrades/changes

Overall:

Awesome!

Feedback Score
    The gas block diameter is the common .750" and I had no problem replacing mine with a Troy low profile to go under my Troy rail. The muzzle threading is apparently 5/8x24 as my AR-10B muzzle brake threaded on just fine.
    Last edited by gunnut284; 07-07-13 at 15:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    S&W claims 7.71 lbs for the rifle. I placed it on the scales with the Magpul STR, Aimpoint H1`Micro and VTAC sling and it tipped the scales at 8.5 lbs. Adding a 20 round PMag loaded with DAG took it up to 9.95 lbs. Might as well call it 10.

I didn't weigh it with the factory supplied M4 stock as I plan to never shoot the rifle that way again
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Got mine about a month after the SHOT show. Same as yours except it came with a PMAG20 308LR. I put a STR stock (with the thickest pad), a MIAD grip, and a MOE handguard in FDE on it. I did trim the back two tabs off the heat shield and it practically fell in place. I put a rail on the bottom and mounted a bipod adaptor with a Harris 6"-9" bipod. Mine has exactly 100 rounds through it since I cleaned when I took it out of the case. I mounted an old Weaver V16 (4 X 16 x 40AO) scope with a Leupold one piece AR style mount. I attempted to zero it and wound up about 1" low at 200 yards. The last six rounds were a 5 shot group at 200 yards and one shot at 100 yards to confirm POE, 1" or so high at 100 yards. 4 of the shots at 200 went into 1 3/8". The flyer opened the group up to 3 3/4". I had no rear rest. This was with 150 grain PSP deer hunting ammo. I have heard that these M&P 10 carbines shoot MOA. Surely they cannot shoot that good, especially with a foreend that is not floated.

I would like to get a pivoting Bipod with notched legs. I would also like to get a Raptor charging handle. I plan to replace that too long flash hider with muzzle brake or a thread protector soon. I plan to kill a few deer with it this fall.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 07-08-13 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Nice. We have a S&W LE distributor locally, and they got a shipment of the M&P10s during the height of the craze. Several of our guys got them, but I don't have any full fledged reports on them as of yet.

Will it accept regular AR hand guards?
    Who is your local S&W LE distributor and where is he located?

I trimmed the heat shield tabs closed to the back on a mid-length MOE handguard and it fit just fine on mine.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 07-14-13 at 06:54.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My son came up to visit today and I let him shoot the M&P-10. I asked him "What do you think of a 308 AR?" He shrugged and said "About normal."

Of course, he shoots an M1 Garand
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-15-13 at 00:18.

I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I swapped out the S&W factory furniture that came with the M&P-10 with the Magpul set I originally had on my AR carbine. When removing the M&P-10 A2 style pistol grip, be aware it holds in place TWO springs. I'm not certain what the second spring does, I didn't take time to study it out. The original grip has a shallow divot for the second spring. The Magpul MOE does not. A divot could be drilled, but I didn't take the time to do this which compresses the second spring a little bit more. After installing the MOE, I tested the function of the safety and every thing else and all worked as it was supposed to.

I swapped out the pistol grip because I've always found the A2, with it's finger bump and smaller grip diameter, to be uncomfortable. I can still shoot a rifle with one, but I don't like it.

The delta ring has a very stiff spring. It would be much easier to change handguards with a delta ring tool, but I don't have one. I fought with the ring to get the factory supplied round handguards off and fought with it even harder to install the MOE handguards. I studied how the lower part of the MOE snaps into place and determined that the heat shield should indeed slip over the chamber of the barrel without trimming. What was preventing installation was the delta ring. Not only is the spring stiff, but it seems the delta ring doesn't move quite far enough to insert the handguards. With a bit of struggling, determination and probably a large amount of dumb luck, I got the MOE handguards installed. Trouble is, it seems I won't be able to remove them again without the delta ring tool. That's ok, I won't be going back to the round style.

The rifle feels much better. The larger diameter of the MOE grip allows my finger to engage the trigger bow naturally and with the unified trigger guard, there is no gap to my knuckle raw. The MOE handguard feels right and is a good fit in my hand. It may be that I'm more used to the MOE. But I've never particularly cared for the round handguards. Of course, the first thing I did was replace M4 buttstock with a Magpul CTR with the thicker pad. The thicker pad didn't make much difference in recoil with the 5.56 but it makes a noticeable difference with the harder hitting 308.

After shooting the rifles with the M4 style furniture, I've decided I'd much rather have Magpul. It's much more comfortable and with the CTR buttstock, easier to install a sling

I am American

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    From examining my own M&P 10 the front spring is for the safety detent and the rear spring is for the rear take-down detent. They re-position the rear take-down detent due to the additional length of the 308 AR receivers.

Also you can take the MOE handguard off without the removal tool. It just takes time, persistence, and care.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I swapped out the S&W factory furniture that came with the M&P-10 with the Magpul set I originally had on my AR carbine. When removing the M&P-10 A2 style pistol grip, be aware it holds in place TWO springs. I'm not certain what the second spring does, I didn't take time to study it out. The original grip has a shallow divot for the second spring. The Magpul MOE does not. A divot could be drilled, but I didn't take the time to do this which compresses the second spring a little bit more. After installing the MOE, I tested the function of the safety and every thing else and all worked as it was supposed to.

I swapped out the pistol grip because I've always found the A2, with it's finger bump and smaller grip diameter, to be uncomfortable. I can still shoot a rifle with one, but I don't like it.

The delta ring has a very stiff spring. It would be much easier to change handguards with a delta ring tool, but I don't have one. I fought with the ring to get the factory supplied round handguards off and fought with it even harder to install the MOE handguards. I studied how the lower part of the MOE snaps into place and determined that the heat shield should indeed slip over the chamber of the barrel without trimming. What was preventing installation was the delta ring. Not only is the spring stiff, but it seems the delta ring doesn't move quite far enough to insert the handguards. With a bit of struggling, determination and probably a large amount of dumb luck, I got the MOE handguards installed. Trouble is, it seems I won't be able to remove them again without the delta ring tool. That's ok, I won't be going back to the round style.

The rifle feels much better. The larger diameter of the MOE grip allows my finger to engage the trigger bow naturally and with the unified trigger guard, there is no gap to my knuckle raw. The MOE handguard feels right and is a good fit in my hand. It may be that I'm more used to the MOE. But I've never particularly cared for the round handguards. Of course, the first thing I did was replace M4 buttstock with a Magpul CTR with the thicker pad. The thicker pad didn't make much difference in recoil with the 5.56 but it makes a noticeable difference with the harder hitting 308.

After shooting the rifles with the M4 style furniture, I've decided I'd much rather have Magpul. It's much more comfortable and with the CTR buttstock, easier to install a sling
    I did trim the rear pair of tabs on the heat shield of the mid-length MOE handguard I installed on my M&P 10. I first installed it without trimming these tabs and then had to take it off to add a rail. That Delta Ring spring is vary hard indeed. The "Trimmed MOE handguard" is much easier to install/take off. My M&P 10 shoots so good, I may not go with a free floating handguard, at least not until I catch up with a few other things. Even though I put a MIAD grip on mine, I might try the MIAD 1.1 when it is available. The current MIAD leaves a gap at the top rear and the plug does not work for me.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast