Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P-10

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisreedrules View Post
    It likes pricey ammo...
    You have had reliability issues with cheap ammo?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    From mine and some other people's experience. I had several FTE issues and it took some tweaking of the gas block and some heavier ammunition to solve. I'm currently running Federal 180gr .308 with no issues. I've tried PMC Bronze 147gr 7.62, and a couple others similar but always had issues. I'd recommend hopping over to the smithandwesson forums and do some reading on it... It's a great rifle overall it just seems that many people have issues straight out of the box with cheaper ammo. If you plan on shooting a lot of .308 I would recommend reloading. Over a long term perspective it makes the most sense.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    On cold days, my M&P10 will not function with NATO pressure ammo and that's using a carbine weight buffer. It appears that the M&P10 is under-gassed, something folks are complaining about as loudly as shooters of small framed ARs gripe about over-gassing. Some are opening up the gas ports of their big Smiths and running heavier buffers. Go figure.

Myself, I'm gonna run some commercial pressure ammo before changing anything
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-09-14 at 13:33.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    On cold days, my M&P10 will not function with NATO pressure ammo and that's using a carbine weight buffer. It appears that the M&P10 is under-gassed, something folks are complaining about as loudly as shooters of small framed ARs gripe about over-gassing. Some are opening up the gas ports of their big Smiths and running heavier buffers. Go figure.

Myself, I'm gonna run some commercial pressure ammo before changing anything
    I wouldn't want a .308 AR that's especially ammo picky, or is that the nature of the beast in .308 ARs? Not my area of expertise to be sure, but I tend to start doing my research well in advance of any purchase so by the time I do, I at least know what I need to know to make a well informed choice.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't want a .308 AR that's especially ammo picky, or is that the nature of the beast in .308 ARs? Not my area of expertise to be sure, but I tend to start doing my research well in advance of any purchase so by the time I do, I at least know what I need to know to make a well informed choice.
    Sounds like not all M&P10's are created equal. There's been reports of gas ports of varying sizes & some have issues with aftermarket charging handles. I've been very fortunate with mine. The only issues I've had with mine were self inflicted by my experimentation with different buffers and/or reloads. Mine also accepts the BCM Gunfighter charging handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The M&P10 isn't any more "ammo picky" than any other AR. It's just that the evidence points to the gas port being a bit on the small side. After seeing the criticism the M&P10 is taking for being under gassed, I'm beginning to see why other companies went ahead with gas ports that are too large.

Ironic that AR15s with larger gas ports to run reliably at lower pressures are held in contempt but a 308 AR tuned to run best on full pressure ammo is considered too picky
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Another great read, thanks to all you guys who review products and get the truth out there. Making my current decision a tough one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CFII View Post
    The fact I can pick one of these up locally for $999 really tempts me. Sure, it wont replace my OBR, but I think it would make a fun and handy big bore rifle.
    Jump on that. You won't regret it.

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    I certainly don't think this indicative of issues at S&W but the MP10 we got for T&E had the hammer pin walk out on the first mag we tried. Sent it back to S&W, still waiting on replacement.
    Owner/CEO
    Light Tac LLC

Owner
    Mutiny Arms LLC

Feedback Score
    I actually really like my M&P10... It's probably my most fun rifle to fire even though it isn't my cheapest. I think the biggest worry I have is the lack of readily available spare parts.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast