Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P-10

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Are the "compliant" barrels and the lightweight barrels the same profile under the hand guards?
    I read over on Smith forums that the rifles with the two different barrels weigh the same because the lightweight barrel with the 4oz flash hider weighs the same as the medium contour compliant barrel without threads and flash hider.

Has anybody bought a individual barrel from smith? What about spare bolts?

I am thinking about buying a compliant model and having the barrel cut to 14.7" with a permed AAC Brakeout 51T, possibly dimpled also.

I don't think opening up the gas port on a nitrided barrel is a great idea, breaking through the hardened surface conversion might accelerate gas port erosion? I might be a little more willing to embark on this project if I knew I could get a replacement barrel. A shame Smith went proprietary on their barrel extensions...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Are the "compliant" barrels and the lightweight barrels the same profile under the hand guards?
    I read over on Smith forums that the rifles with the two different barrels weigh the same because the lightweight barrel with the 4oz flash hider weighs the same as the medium contour compliant barrel without threads and flash hider.

Has anybody bought a individual barrel from smith? What about spare bolts?

I am thinking about buying a compliant model and having the barrel cut to 14.7" with a permed AAC Brakeout 51T, possibly dimpled also.

I don't think opening up the gas port on a nitrided barrel is a great idea, breaking through the hardened surface conversion might accelerate gas port erosion? I might be a little more willing to embark on this project if I knew I could get a replacement barrel. A shame Smith went proprietary on their barrel extensions...
    I was thinking of doing the same thing, but putting an adjustable gas block on it too. Wont be getting to that project for a while though.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As detailed earlier, I've changed out the CTR stock for a MagPul Fixed Carbine stock. The Fixed Carbine stock gave me a better cheek weld but the factory supplied buttpad is thin and hard. It was replaced with a thick PRS buttpad. It's still a bit on the hard side, but it's greater thickness improves padding and I needed a little more length of pull

Another improvement was made by replacing the the standard MOE grip with the K2. The angle is noticeably more comfortable and the more aggressive texture works much better.

I picked up a couple of MagPul windowed 25 round magazines for $20 each at a local gunshow. No way I was going to pass that up!

Almost makes me feel dirty, peeking in the window at all that 30 caliber goodness.

Finally had a chance to try some commercial rounds. Firing at 200 yards off the bench from an improvised rest produced 3 shot groups between 1.5 and 2.0 moa. Not bad, but there could be some improvement, especially with the shooter. Milsurp gave me 3.0 moa. There have been no malfunctions encountered during the last few trips to the range

The round handguard shown above are a step backwards but the MOE handguards that were on it before were needed to go back on the carbine they were borrowed from. Never fear, the round handguards were only temporary. A Lancer carbon fiber free float tube and a low profile gas block were picked up at the local gunshow this weekend. Normally, I do my own work on my rifles, but Corycop25 has experience installing these handguards and had brought his tools. He had the upper apart and the Lancer handguard installed before I could say "Hey, hand me a wrench..."

I don't think the Lancer carbon fiber handguards are saving me any weight over the round type, but the little svelte low profile gas block is much lighter than the anvil S&W carved theirs from. I figure that's at least another two ounces shaved off the weight. Between replacing the factory flash suppressor and gas block, this rifle is almost a half pound lighter!

The Lancer handguard is smooth with a rounded octagonal cross section, which fits my hand pretty good. The shape also gives a flat bottom to place on a rest. There are plenty of cooling slots along the sides and bottom to allow air to flow freely. None are cut in the top flat which should reduce mirage from the barrel heat. The slots also allow for the mounting of rail sections if needed. I have no plans to mount any rails sections, however. A QD cup was mounted on the left side. It's bigger than I'd like it to be, but it will do until I can fab up something with a lower profile. For the moment, I have no plans to mount a bipod and foresee no reason for that to change.

It's my hope the free float handguard will help shrink group sizes a bit but I won't know until I get out to shoot it again. The mounting system was easily installed and feels pretty solid. The carbon fiber Lancer will not heat up from shooting or while sitting in the sun like aluminum, nor will it be as cold in the winter. I also think it looks good on the Big Smith.

The rifle was solid to begin with and gets better with each upgrade. But there is still room for improvement. The Big Smith will be getting the Geisele treatment to replace the creepy gritty factory trigger as the budget will allow.

It's also time to get a proper scope mount. What I've got now is a set of rings attached to aluminum riser blocks which are attached to the rail. The scope needs to be pushed forward and it sits just a little too low. So far, I like the scope mount by Aero Precision due to it's low weight, strong design, lack of quick release levers and low cost.

I think with the new handguard, Aero Precision scope mount, G trigger and a sling, the Big Smith will be just about perfect. Then, all it will need is a little touch up paint
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-06-14 at 00:13.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    so its an AR10 with multiple proprietary parts and poor tolerances for aftermarket accessories? looks like ill be sticking to LMT.

thank you for the excellent review.
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash1023 View Post
    so its an AR10 with multiple proprietary parts and poor tolerances for aftermarket accessories? looks like ill be sticking to LMT.

thank you for the excellent review.
    First, it's an M&P-10, not an AR-10. It's made by Smith & Wesson not Armalite.

Second- Proprietary- I don't think that word means what you think it means. ALL rifles use proprietary parts, including the AR family of weapons. You can't use AR parts on an FN FAL or a Remington 700. What you really mean is, there is little support for spare parts for the M&P-10, which is true. Maybe there is more support for the LMT, but you cannot just walk into any old store and buy LMT proprietary parts.

Third, while I'm sure the LMT is a nice rifle, it costs more than twice what I paid for the S&W, is heavier and still doesn't have the features I want. I've had no problem installing what furniture or muzzle device I wanted, so I don't know where you got the idea the Big Smith has "poor tolerances" for aftermarket accessories. Eventually, I'll have spent enough on the M&P-10 to have paid for an LMT, but by then, the Big Smith will have the configuratiuon I want, a quality optic, spare mags, more than a few rounds down range and a couple of scars from it's trips to the field

I am American

Feedback Score
    I do like my M&P10... Do I wish there was more parts support from S&W? Yes. Can the M&P10 be beat in terms of bang for your buck? I think not. As has been mentioned above, new rail, new furniture, new flash hider/muzzle break, and a new trigger and you will have a quality set up for much less than some of the comparable rifles for around $2000. It's worth a look if you are on a budget. I personally wish I had just saved longer for an SR25. That would be the .308 to buy if you never want to buy another .308... But I do like my M&P10 and it does get the job done (accurately I might add).

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisreedrules View Post
    I do like my M&P10... Do I wish there was more parts support from S&W? Yes.
    Have you tried calling S&W about replacement parts? I have, while it took a little time (about a week and a half from 1st contact to my door) I was able to get a free replacement extractor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Finally had a chance to try some commercial rounds. Firing at 200 yards off the bench from an improvised rest produced 3 shot groups between 1.5 and 2.0 moa. Not bad, but there could be some improvement, especially with the shooter. Milsurp gave me 3.0 moa. There have been no malfunctions encountered during the last few trips to the range
    What commercial rounds did you try? I have had my best groups with Nosler Trophy Grade 165 grain ballistic tip ammo. Hornady Match Grade 168 gr bthps group well.

Both groups below were at 100 yards and I used a Caldwell the rock rest and rear bag. The round to the right is from walking the scope in.

My current setup is:

M&P 10
    Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 scope
    Nikon P Series scope mounts
    Gissellle SSA-E trigger
    MagPul ACS-L buttstock
    MagPul MOE grip
    Troy Claymore muzzle brake

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I friend gave me some 165 gr Ballistic Tips, 168 gr Hornady SSTs and 175 gr Controlled Recoil. I'm hoping to get out soon to try them again with the new free float tube

I am American

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Mistwolf,

How is she chugging along?

I got a chance to shoot a friends M&P 10 in stock form. I was pretty impressed for the price of the gun and the way it handled. It ate up 100rds of PMC Bronze 308 fmj, no hiccups to break in and zero. I especially like the ambi lower receiver!

Two lingering concerns.

1) lack of parts support from S&W

2) no 16" threaded barrel.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast