Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P-10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    She's chugging along fine. Due to ammo costs, I haven't run her very hard, not nearly as hard as I have a couple of my 5.56 ARs but she's a joy to shoot. Back in June, we drove up to Idaho to spend the weekend with a good friend and did some long range rock busting with the Big Smith (and a few others) and even tried our hand at a couple that were just too far away. With the 168 gr AMax bullets, she proved to be a very consistent shooter. So far, the 168 gr AMax bullet have proven to give best precision. For the money, I'm really happy with the Big Smith, even after spending a good chunk of change on a carbon fiber free float tube.

When I bought the MP-10, I didn't feel there was any real competition in it's street price range. I believe Armalite had announced it's A series AR-10 (which takes P-Mags) but they were impossible to find. If I were to buy a 308 AR today, my choices in this price range would be either the MP-10 or the Armalite. I like the barrel profile of the Big Smith but the Armalite has better spare parts support.

I know the 16 inch barrel is more popular, but I much prefer the 18 inch barrel because muzzle blast is less and it gives better velocity (depending on load, of course). I would like a 20 inch barrel even better, but the 20 inch 308 ARs available at the time of purchase were not in a configuration I wanted. But, it's all theory until you actually shoot the rifle. The Big Smith with it's 18 inch barrel shoots great and for the moment, I see no reason to swap for a longer or shorter barrel.

Parts availability is a concern but mostly with the barrel and bolt as they are the major wear items. The S&W barrel can be swapped out for a DPMS style barrel as long as you also use a DPMS style bolt (I'm not sure if a DPMS style carrier must also be used).

I think a shooter would be well served by choosing an S&W MP-10. It may take some tinkering as the barrel is ported for commercial pressure ammo rather than the lower pressured NATO surplus, but I think that's a plus. The MP-10 isn't over gassed when using quality ammo.

I've also heard good things about the A model AR-10 but I've had no hands on experience with it.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my Big Smith. I'm waiting for an Omega to get out of quarantine and excited to see how the Big Smith will perform with a muffler
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Anyone know if the handguards from the AR15 are interchangeable with the AR10?? Thanks

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    ^handguards are DPMS low pattern. Not directly AR 15 compatible but the threads on the upper receiver barrel recepticle are supposed to be the same pitch and size as AR 15 barrel nut threads. SLR Rifleworks and Midwest Industries offer the the best DPMS low pattern designs, IMO. Don't forget the required extended port door rod available from Midwest Industries.

MistWolf, I have read about DPMS pattern barrel swaps but I think if I remember correctly they require the stock M&P 10 barrel extension to be threaded off the stock barrel and swapped onto the DPMS barrel, in addition to the use of a DPMS bolt.

No 16" barrel is more of an annoyance but the thing is handy with the 18" barrel, just would be more handy with common 16" length. My worry about parts support is that I would quickly void the warranty of the gun by putting a rail, gas block and muzzle device on it. I guess if there were problems with the barrel or bolt that would be the time to look into the barrel swap.

I am going to get a better look at a friends rifle soon and post pics.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Black Hole Weaponry used to offer a service where they'd take an MP10 barrel extension and fit it to one of their DPMS pattern barrels so it could be used with the MP10 bolt. But they don't any more.

I have to dig deeper, but I believe a DPMS barrel can be used as long as a DPMS bolt is used with it. One guy on smith-wessonforum.com said he modified an MP10 carrier to take a DPMS bolt
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Black Hole Weaponry used to offer a service where they'd take an MP10 barrel extension and fit it to one of their DPMS pattern barrels so it could be used with the MP10 bolt. But they don't any more.

I have to dig deeper, but I believe a DPMS barrel can be used as long as a DPMS bolt is used with it. One guy on smith-wessonforum.com said he modified an MP10 carrier to take a DPMS bolt
    I believe he said the full DPMS BCG also worked. He just wanted to try and make the S&W carrier work since it has the forward assist cuts.

There are other DPMS pattern BCGs with FA cuts, however. I don't need to replace mine but that's how I would do it.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    Alright, I am Bumping this Thread. I just bought a M&P 10 after a local dealer had one for under $1200. I plan on making it a hunting/ DMR type 308, other than liking heavy ammo is there anything I should know???
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Alright, I am Bumping this Thread. I just bought a M&P 10 after a local dealer had one for under $1200. I plan on making it a hunting/ DMR type 308, other than liking heavy ammo is there anything I should know???
    Yeah:

1) Although it has similar internal dimensions to the DPMS pattern, I have NOT found any aftermarket charging handle that will fit mine, apparently due to a small but important difference in the very tip of the handle and gas key area. So only buy an aftermarket one if you have another use for, in case it doesn't work.

2) Mine has worked fine with two kinds of milsurp (FNM and Radway), plus Prvi and Fiocchi, but locked up HARD with Turkish MKE, so avoid the MKE ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Yeah:

1) Although it has similar internal dimensions to the DPMS pattern, I have NOT found any aftermarket charging handle that will fit mine, apparently due to a small but important difference in the very tip of the handle and gas key area. So only buy an aftermarket one if you have another use for, in case it doesn't work.

2) Mine has worked fine with two kinds of milsurp (FNM and Radway), plus Prvi and Fiocchi, but locked up HARD with Turkish MKE, so avoid the MKE ammo.
    Thanks for the info, I heard the Raptor CH works in it but haven't tried it yet. Took it to the range this morning and it did pretty well with 147gr PMC, I only shot 60rds through it, and like 14 rounds of 150 gr Hornady Whitetail that I had laying around from last deer season which opened up my groupings considerably. It definitely needs a comp and eventually I'm going to free float the barrel.
    20180421_110336.jpg
    Here is me doping in the old Primary Arms 2.5x at 100 yards with a 1 MOA group
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Excellent rifle. Getting it to work with a suppressor has been tricky, however.
    I have shot mine out to 800 yards with great accuracy.
    And yes, the Raptor charging handle works just fine. So does the Geissele G2S, however installing it requires temporary removal of the ambi bolt release in order to fit it in.
    Last edited by masakari; 04-22-18 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Yeah:

Mine has had a steady diet of MKE with no problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast