Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P-10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Let me know how it works out. I was going to try an A5 in the M&P my next time out.

Sent via Tapatalk
    While the M&P-10 uses a carbine length buffer, you can see in the photo below it uses a longer receiver extension to accomodate the longer carrier and the longer case length of the 308. An A5 buffer would be too long
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Smith & Wesson M&P-10

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    While the M&P-10 uses a carbine length buffer, you can see in the photo below it uses a longer receiver extension to accomodate the longer carrier and the longer case length of the 308. An A5 buffer would be too long
    Oh yeah, I suppose. A bit of a brain fade on my part. I just measured it next to my A5 & it looked identical so I thought I'd try it. That's better anyway, I have other buffers laying around so I'll be good.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Got the M&P-10 out to the range again and got it sighted in using the last of the Venezuelan CAVIM ammo. For some reason, it turned the rifle into a single shot and I had to cycle the action by hand each time. At first, I thought it was the H2 buffer but it kept short stroking even with the carbine buffer. To verify, I fired one round of commercial ammo and it ejected and locked the bolt back fine.

In any case, I rested the rifle on my rolled up jacket and fired a five round group. It was about 4 inches at 100 yards. My guess is the big AR doesn't like CAVIM. It is surplus ammo after all.

Why the CAVIM started short stroking, I do not know. The time before, it shot fine. Either CAVIM is very sensitive to temperature changes, or this last box was a bad batch. In any case, it's gone. When I can afford it, I'll buy a couple boxes of good ammo and try again
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Got the M&P-10 out to the range again and got it sighted in using the last of the Venezuelan CAVIM ammo. For some reason, it turned the rifle into a single shot and I had to cycle the action by hand each time. At first, I thought it was the H2 buffer but it kept short stroking even with the carbine buffer. To verify, I fired one round of commercial ammo and it ejected and locked the bolt back fine.

In any case, I rested the rifle on my rolled up jacket and fired a five round group. It was about 4 inches at 100 yards. My guess is the big AR doesn't like CAVIM. It is surplus ammo after all.

Why the CAVIM started short stroking, I do not know. The time before, it shot fine. Either CAVIM is very sensitive to temperature changes, or this last box was a bad batch. In any case, it's gone. When I can afford it, I'll buy a couple boxes of good ammo and try again
    I had the same problem today with Tula ammo I got from Walmart. I didn't have another brand to verify that the ammo was the problem though.

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    I have fired Winchester PowerPoint 150 grain and PowerMax 150 grain in my M&P 10 with no issues. I have not tried any other ammo in mine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Old Cavim has had issues. Certainly not all was bad. But was definitly hit or miss. And Tula is underpowered compared to most 308 that I've shot.

Would try to find some current manufactured US made 308 or 7.62 ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Old Cavim has had issues so sure could have been that. And Tula is underpowered compared to most domestic 308.
    Would try to get some current US made 308 or 7.62.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MH64 View Post
    Old Cavim has had issues so sure could have been that. And Tula is underpowered compared to most domestic 308.
    Would try to get some current US made 308 or 7.62.
    Thx. I think I have a lead on some PMC at Alamo Ammo, hopefully that functions better than the Tula.

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I personally have had problems with surplus 7.62x51 in a number of AR308 rifles, including the AR10A, AR10C, SR25 EMC, LMT 308MWSE, and LaRue OBR. I think the surplus stuff is great in a FAL where you can dial up the gas or a roller-lock gun like the HK91, but probably not so great in an AR308 with a fixed gas system tuned to function correctly with decent modern ammo.

Feedback Score
    I think surplus 7.62/308 works well in a bolt action.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast