Thread: Winchester XT22LR problems?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Winchester XT22LR problems?

Disclaimer: I'm on a tablet and the search feature is driving me nuts. So forgive me if this is a repeat

I'm working the range at our boy scout camp. On the rifle range we are shooting Winchester XT22LR 40gr. If I'm reading the lot code stamped on the case (1EB41M 027) this was made 14 Feb 11. Out-of the last 3 500 round boxes we have had 3 failures since Monday. The primers appear in each instance to be separating from the cases. Each time it was with a different rifle. Is anyone aware of any problems with this ammo? A search of the net turned up nothing. The reason I ask is because of safety and availability. Right now we're watching the boys like a hawk for squibs. We're not inclined to think this is a head space issue since it has occurred on 3 different rifles (marlin 880s). I'll post pics in a few
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Winchester XT22LR problems?

Here are the pics

In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When .22LR ammunition was available I thought I would give Winchester a try and purchased Winchester 555 round bulk packs at Wal-Mart. The product number was 22LR555HP.

I had multiple failures to feed, fire and extract in a Ruger MKII, GSG1911, Ruger 10-22 and Tactical Solutions .22LR M-4 upper. I could not fire a whole magazine of ammunition without some sort of malfunction. All four firearms ran well on other brands of ammunition.

The ammunition fired in my Ruger Single Six revolver and Henry lever action rifle, but I had more misfires than one would expect. I estimate I had 25 misfires per box. After I shot it all up I stopped buying Winchester .22LR ammunition.

Feedback Score
    The only Winchester .22lr I use is the 40 Grain Power Point I think Its listed as T22 unfortunately all QC has dropped off for .22lr in the last 15 years so I dont even know if I would trust the formerly good stuff any more especially in the climate of today with all of the ammo companies pushed to the brink trying to keep up with demand. The Marlins should be stout enough even if there is a catostrophic case failure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
    unfortunately all QC has dropped off for .22lr in the last 15 years so I dont even know if I would trust the formerly good stuff any more especially in the climate of today with all of the ammo companies pushed to the brink trying to keep up with demand.
    True as hell.

I don't even touch bulk pack crap anymore unless it's auto match. I pretty much just stick to Premium CCI or Match Rimfire.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v