Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting groups with M4/AR - options for optics

Feedback Score

Shooting groups with M4/AR - options for optics

I know the title makes it sound like it should be in the optics session, but I am really looking to touch base with handloaders for this.

I have a Colt 6920 that I have been shooting mostly factory ammo from. Since I actually have some components on hand now, I am going to work up some loads for accuracy. I am running iron sights at the moment and will be picking up a RDS soon. I want to mount one of my hunting scopes on it just for the purpose of shooting groups - it won't be on there for long.

I am curious to know what mounts most of you guys use for load development. I'm not going to spring for a Larue mount because I can't justify the price for what I would be using it for. Once I get my load data nailed down I will be sticking with it. If I were going to keep a scope on this weapon, I wouldn't blink about spending the bucks for a good mount.

Any recommendations? I know I can just put on a set of high rings and call it good but I am in hopes that someone may have developed a trick or two for this purpose that is fairly low cost but will still hold a zero during a range session. FYI - I am not worried about the shadow from the front post.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    When I had a scope on one of my uppers I used an Armalite one piece scope mount. Put the scope at the right height (for me), and was easy to put on and take off. I think I paid 80 bucks for it. Look around and you may be able to find a used one.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I bought one of the RRA one piece mounts for $60. It cantilevers the scope forward. Now it sits a little too high for a good cheek weld... but for the price, it's something I can tollerate.

You can get them in 30mm or 1". I'd loan you mine, but I don't know you like that... and the world is full of cuckoos.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Shooting groups with M4/AR - options for optics

You can probably get a cantilever mount off eBay. Saw a boatload of knockoffs when I bought my Burris off of there.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Per your post, not the answer that you wanted, but I have found that the Larue mounts work the best for repeatability. They are rock solid and are easy to remove and replace. It does buy you value from the standpoint that your scope can be used on multiple guns with a consistent return to zero. I bought my first one used and found a decent price after doing some looking and waiting. Hard to find the same quality in a lesser mount, even it if it used very little it is worth it in the long run.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I bought one of the RRA one piece mounts for $60. It cantilevers the scope forward. Now it sits a little too high for a good cheek weld... but for the price, it's something I can tollerate.

You can get them in 30mm or 1". I'd loan you mine, but I don't know you like that... and the world is full of cuckoos.
    Looks like the best option so far. I can deal with the cheek weld as long as the zero holds.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies - there are some good options to try, a couple of which I wasn't aware of.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineshooter View Post
    Looks like the best option so far. I can deal with the cheek weld as long as the zero holds.
    Yeah.. it's built like a brick outhouse. So.. it's a little bulky, heavy, and tall... but I bought it for the EXACT usage you're looking for.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have the RRA mount markm is talking about on one of my rifles, an RRA of all things. Thinking one of our heads must be build wrong as I have no issues with it being too tall, so by that one of us is a freak . Haven't had any issues with it personally and worked well for the $60 I paid for it so I would have some sort of optic on the 20 heavy barrel of a brick that the RRA rifle I have is. If nothing else $60 shouldn't break the bank. Though if I had the money I would love to have another Larue mount.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My skull is funky. I'm always raising the comb on my stocks too high for most others to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast