Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact drill press for AR work that doesn't suck?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Compact drill press for AR work that doesn't suck?

The short of it is I want a drill press for general AR smithing like pinning gas-blocks and front sight bases, drilling out a blind pinned muzzle devices, and my pet project of DIY gas-port-restricting, gas-block inserts.

All I need is a small drill press that is steady and can drill a straight hole the size that the drill bit cuts. I tried (I know) to get away buying cheap, way cheap: https://www.amazon.com/WEN-4208-8-In...ds=Drill+press (incidently the smallest Craftsman drill press from sears for $160 is just a branded WEN)
    As you might guess this is too much to ask for buying cheap. The Chinese junk grade WEN from amazon had insane amount of wobble. I would better off using a hand drill.

Any recommendations? Budget? As cheap as possible that can do what I want with emphasis on a straight hole.
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 11-30-16 at 19:23.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    #1. You might try a dovetail column mill/drill. They suck for milling but are pretty darn good for drilling. They can be had cheaper than grizzly but grizzly CS is pretty good in my experience if you have a problem.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini...ce=grizzly.com

#2. If you want a really true hole, a drill bit won't do it alone. You've got to drill and then ream to size. Drill bits wander and flex too much.

#3 if you're dead set on a drill press, grizzly again might be a good place to look. Some grizzly is chicom, some is taiwan, but in either case the designs and QC are generally better.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-S...ce=grizzly.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you have the room & capacity buy a used Bridgeport mill.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket 442 View Post
    I agree, I have been a machinist pretty much my whole life, and while there may be other ways to do it. A Bridgeport mill with a decent vice, good quality drill bits and a little know how will make the job a whole lot easier with consistent results.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Another option - watch garage sales and classifieds for a used, older, US-made drill press. The US-made hobby machines from 25+ years ago are often better than what you can buy today for under $1000. I've inherited a few tools in this category and am very thankful for them.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket 442 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I agree, I have been a machinist pretty much my whole life, and while there may be other ways to do it. A Bridgeport mill with a decent vice, good quality drill bits and a little know how will make the job a whole lot easier with consistent results.
    I would have to agree with both of the above as well. Mine makes life stupid easy drilling holes. Even a used one is a pretty significant investment in $ not to mention space though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Unless you are in a rush, search the newspaper and Craigslist for used. I know a guy who found a Walker & Turner drill press for $50 at a garage sale. He had to replace the brushes in the motor and change the belt but when he was done he had a USA made quality drill press for around $100. I have a similar model that was given to me by my father. I think he got it used in the 1950s and it's still going strong today.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Can what I want be done with a drill press? I would like to maintain .001" of tolerances for the gas-port inserts. I won't be full on manufacturing them or full time smithing, I'll mostly just be going for hobby use and the occasional pin job for a build.

A Bridgeport mill is beyond my space constraints and out of the budget, though I would very much like to have and learn one, I can't justify it unless I were going for business use and then it is still bigger than I have room for.

Feedback Score
    I would not touch that.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    I would not touch that.
    Not sure what you are getting at?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast