Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HK translucent polymer magazines

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    it's not the bolt hold open on last round that is a problem.

it is the premature actuation of the bolt catch with rounds in the magazine that makes the bolt face hit the bolt catch and cause problems.

this is due to the polymer magazines typically haveing a V shaped channel in the bolt catch recess instead of a squared U shape that is present on stanag magazines.

Feedback Score
    Here's my video review of these mags. It's the longest video I've done on an AR mag, but I wanted to spend more time showing what makes these different than other polymer mags.

There are quite a few interesting elements to HK's "proprietary geometry," though I don't know what all of them do. Most significantly, the front of these mags are thicker than other mags, with grooves for the tips of the bullets to ride in. There is also a divider, like in a PMAG, but it is sloped on both sides instead of being just a rib.

The material is softer than the opaque material used in PMAGs, but it still withstood 8 fully-loaded drops on the feedlips from about 6' with only minor scuffing. The mag did not crush when run over, though the material did dent in a few places. However, even after that, the mag loaded and fired fine.

It also did fine with 115gr UMC 300 BLK.

Last edited by Quiet Riot; 12-06-13 at 12:05. Reason: Embedded video

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    Here's my video review of these mags. It's the longest video I've done on an AR mag, but I wanted to spend more time showing what makes these different than other polymer mags.

There are quite a few interesting elements to HK's "proprietary geometry," though I don't know what all of them do. Most significantly, the front of these mags are thicker than other mags, with grooves for the tips of the bullets to ride in. There is also a divider, like in a PMAG, but it is sloped on both sides instead of being just a rib.

The material is softer than the opaque material used in PMAGs, but it still withstood 8 fully-loaded drops on the feedlips from about 6' with only minor scuffing. The mag did not crush when run over, though the material did dent in a few places. However, even after that, the mag loaded and fired fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmaNOfzEi78
    Your video is excellent and very well presented. I agree that it will take some time to really get the full analysis of the magazine, but I think it's off to a very good start.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Great job on the video. Thx
    "I show my Colt to my friends,and my Glock to my enemies "

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    your review convinced me to buy some, plus one for range 37!!

Feedback Score
    Great video. I didn't notice the difference in feed lip thickness between the HK and PMag until I saw your vid. Excellent!

ETA: The feed lips seem about the same thickness when compared to my Gen2 PMag. Are the feed lips on the PMag M3 thinner?
    Last edited by P2000; 08-03-13 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I ran my mags today. One I just ran 30 rounds out of and it locked back on the last round. The second one, I ran with different amounts of rounds in it. It locked back every time. As I said before, uneventful....
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The HK translucent mag should be a good match for this new lower
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The HK translucent mag should be a good match for this new lower
    Yeah, a few rounds through that lower and it will be about as smokey dull gray as the H&K mags.....
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post

Hey, quick show of hands, who here has Surefire mags?
    I bought one Surefire60 during the beginning of the panic only as a test mag, and didn't feel too bad paying $120 for them when at the height of the panic they went for ~$200 or more. I intend to try it on my next 3-gun event but so far it has been flawless at the range with a few hundred rounds.
    I even bought a Promag (gasp!) FDE 42rounder pre-panic for $14 that was problematic, but at that price I can't complain. It makes a nice AR magwell stand and paperweight now

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmaNOfzEi78
    Your vids are always well made and informative (i'm a subscriber). Thanks for the review.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast