Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: HK translucent polymer magazines

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amur View Post
    Where did you see this deal?

Thanks
    Amur
    HK USA had a deal on Black Friday buy two and get one magazine free with free shipping. So $39.90 I got three HK translucent magazines shipped. They also gave away free decals and iPhone cases with the orders. However it was BF only, sorry.

I've never seen the HK mags anywhere on the net for $15. $20 is the going rate.

http://us.hkwebshop.com

Feedback Score
    Might have been a "Brack Friday Bunduru", as mentioned above. I know I read it in at least one email.

There are some online distributors who keep them at $15, and I believe the prices will be staying there while competing with Magpul. I got them from a friend who does online distributing of only good stuff, so we decided to beat them up to make sure he wasn't going to be carrying crap products.

I've been away from M4C since the General Discussion threads jumped the coop. Trying to be more active now that snow has cut back my shooting time. If I hear of good deals on HK mags in the future I'll post a link in this thread.

Feedback Score
    Where are you finding HK mags for $15 each??? The lowest I've seen is $18.99.

Feedback Score
    EVERY translucent mag I have tested would water fountain the rounds (1 or 2 rounds) when reloading with a little gusto on a locked-back bolt. These other mags also water fountain rounds when doing the ole "settling the rounds" into the mag by tapping the floorplate. For this reason I have stuck to USGI aluminum mags (OKay in particular). I have even heard that translucent factory AUG mags do this (on a locked-back bolt.

AR translucent mags I have tried:
    The old crappy Ramline 30's from eons ago
    Lancer L5 30rd (non-AWM)
    Lancer 20rd AWM

Can anyone see if the HK translucent mags do this? I am sooo dying for a see-thru mag that is reliable.
    Last edited by G19A3; 12-11-13 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just tried placing a fully loaded HK 30rd polymer mag in the mag well of my Colt 6721 with the bolt locked back and I slapped the mag in the last 1/2" or so with a much harder hit than I would usually use. I did this three times and no rounds popped out or moved at all.

Edited to add: just hit the base of the same mag on my wooden bench top three times, a lot harder than what I consider "settling the rounds", and nothing happened.
    Last edited by DBR; 12-11-13 at 19:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wonder how well these HK mags withstand "deet". Bug repellant is often the fatal flaw of polymer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    I just tried placing a fully loaded HK 30rd polymer mag in the mag well of my Colt 6721 with the bolt locked back and I slapped the mag in the last 1/2" or so with a much harder hit than I would usually use. I did this three times and no rounds popped out or moved at all.
    Done the same with my MR556 and S&W M&P lower based mutt rifle and I've not had this happen either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post

Edited to add: just hit the base of the same mag on my wooden bench top three times, a lot harder than what I consider "settling the rounds", and nothing happened.
    I know you may consider this unrealistic, but can you try the same "settling test" while holding the mag horizontally with the bullet tips pointed towards the floor (i.e. not the primer side down) and then rap smartly on the floorplate several times?

I have done this horizontal test AFTER discovering the waterfountain phenomenon in a locked-back bolt. The translucent mags ALWAYS failed consistently. Sometimes, I can get three rounds to waterfountain. I repeated the same test, same or MORE force, with TRUE USGI aluminum Colt & Simmonds 20rd mags and OKay 30rd mags and all rounds stay put.

In fact, I don't own any P-mags because of my quest for a true see-thru mag, so as far as I know P-mags may fail as well. I believe this is due to the AR's original thin metallic mag design, which doesn't allow the same strength from a plastic mag without extra thickness. I had HIGH hopes with the Lancer's due to their metal feed lips, which are reinforced internally by the curvature in an AR's upper receiver. But no joy. I hope I'm making sense.

Also, the aluminum mags are THE MOST compact vertically compared to their polymer bretheren, nevermind the thicker plastic floorplates. Metal mags are noisier and harder to takedown for cleaning, tho. No free lunch it seems.
    Last edited by G19A3; 12-11-13 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OK - I hit the fully loaded (30rds) HK polymer mag three times on my wooden bench with the spine of the mag at the top and the loaded rounds pointed at the bench surface. Then, without changing anything, I hit the base plate against the bench three times with the mag vertical. In both tests I used more force than I would use in any normal AR/Mag exercise. Nothing happened. The rounds all stayed in the mag with no movement that would indicate they were about to eject.

edited for grammer
    Last edited by DBR; 12-11-13 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I looked for some of these at the SAR show this last weekend, I couldn't find any and all the mag dealers I talked to didn't know anything about them. I just wanted to eyeball them.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast