Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: HK translucent polymer magazines

Feedback Score
    Thanks DBR. I noticed you are like me in that you don't post much.

I may have to try the HK's. I'm cautious tho. I hate collecting useless accessories.

I remember the big toodoo when the HK Maritime mags came out and everyone thought it was the bees knees. Now, not so much.

Every time a new AR manufacturer goes public or a new accessory makes it to the market, everyone jumps. Soon everyone moves onto the next big fad. Remember how everyone said Bushmaster was better than Colt. Then it was Rock River. Now both are considered not worth considering for serious use. In this field, time is the only true test.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I test everything before I rely on it. I have to admit the things you wanted tested are unique in my experience but interesting. I generally don't use 30 rd mags anyway. I bought three 30rd HK mags to try. I think the 30s make sense in a full-auto M16 but are not necessary in a semi-auto AR. I prefer the original 20 rd Colt mags from NHMTG. I also like the new M3 20rd mags from Magpul. I like the 30rd spring in a 20rd body with a proven anti-tilt follower - similar the the AK design.

For me 30rd mags are good for the bug out bag.

Feedback Score
    Now I'm spooked. You must be my brother from another mother. I too am a 20rd USGI mag guy and would rather avoid the compound curve of the 30's (Tho never had a problem). Also the USGI 20's are THE MOST size efficient mag and was originally designed for the AR-series, as opposed to the afterthought 30's. Finally, 20's can be fully loaded and have no resistance to loading with bolt forward, as opposed to some loading 28 rounds into a USGI 30 to avoid reload resistance. Only eight more rounds in a much bulkier mag...what's the point? I have more aluminum 20's than I do 30's.

Except 5 surplus Universal/Simmonds, all my 20's are confirmed Colts (with secret OKay logo stamped inside the mag body).
    Most all my 30's are OKay's. The fit/seams/welding is THE BEST with OKay's.

I love the concept of the translucent mag and I have been waiting for polymer technology to catch up since those god awful Ramline's, which waterfountained almost half the mag (no exaggeration). When I got a couple of Lancer 30's, I checked for full 30 rounds-loaded resistance to bolt forward and the drop-free test. Then when loading smartly with bolt locked back, I discovered the one to two round waterfountaining. Deja vu. Unacceptable. I was surprised due to Lancer's partial-wraparound metal feed lip design.

When Lancer came out with their "improved" AWM's with full wraparound metal feed lips, I tried a couple of 20's as 20's are my fave. Same thing. Waterfountaining (WF) one, two, sometimes three rounds. WF in a bolt locked back fast reload where two rounds jump out into the chamber area is bad juju. I have posted my findings before. Some still rave about the Lancers, but I don't think they reload with bolt locked back.

I also understand translucent AUG mags waterfountain if slammed home on a bolt locked back condition. Unfortunately, the "springy" polymer that gives the mag desirable traits such as dent resistance may also allow the feed lips to spread just enough to WF.

Do you have any P-mags to try the same test? I never wanted to ask on the board since I know I may offend P-mag fans.
    Last edited by G19A3; 12-12-13 at 02:45.

Feedback Score
    I tried HK mags agains "WF" as one of first thing when I got them. That was because I use mags in competition, that require to do BHO reloads most of the time. I had problems with WF using Lancer L5 AWM (only downside I found in those mags). With HK mags I found that I can make mag to spill out one round, when I smash bottom of mag it several times (6-8 times) in the row and do not correct top round position. I would say those HK mags are quite resistant to WF problem.

I did not test P-Mags, but tested E-mags (basically same thing as Gen2 P-Mag). They did not have tendency to WF rounds, but can be forced to do so (if user really insist) just a bit easier than HK mags. But I not see anyone doing this in "real life".
    Last edited by montrala; 12-12-13 at 08:26.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I tried the same tests with a fully loaded 20rd M3 Pmag and nothing happened. Slamming the mag into the mag well with the bolt back did cause the stack to bounce but no rounds spilled. Even slamming the mag in with the muzzle pointed down did not cause any rds to spill.

I don't own any 30rd Pmags anymore.

Feedback Score
    Sorry dude I didn't see this question.

I tried to find an answer for you, a link to buy from, and no dice. It was October when I got mine, and hadn't heard anything about them until Black Friday. I can look at what it will cost some of my hangouts to order at distributor price.

Would be cool if one of these dudes would run an M4C discount code, gets mags out to those who are interested and brings their site some traffic/customers. My buddy that I mentioned before was one of those guys that felt he would be better served by not jacking up prices during the stupidity, and a lot of us that buy from him are loyal customers because of it, even if now and then I pay an extra $2 than a competitor. While CTD was selling aluminum 30rd mags for like $40 a piece or more, his Gen2 PMags remained $12, in stock the whole time.

Can't hurt to ask. Don't know what hoops he'll have to jump through to get HK Distributor approval though...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by G19A3 View Post
    Now I'm spooked. You must be my brother from another mother. I too am a 20rd USGI mag guy and would rather avoid the compound curve of the 30's (Tho never had a problem). Also the USGI 20's are THE MOST size efficient mag and was originally designed for the AR-series, as opposed to the afterthought 30's. Finally, 20's can be fully loaded and have no resistance to loading with bolt forward, as opposed to some loading 28 rounds into a USGI 30 to avoid reload resistance. Only eight more rounds in a much bulkier mag...what's the point? I have more aluminum 20's than I do 30's.
    That's awesome, and I agree with your sentiment. While I can't say I have more 20rd mags than I do 30rd (I somehow have somewhere in the neighborhood of 60+ aluminum Brownells mags, most still with Afghan moondust in the tape) I LOVE the 20rd design.

When I was working EP, there were quite a few times where the driver would keep an M4 loaded with a 20rd mag in the front passenger seat, or on his side of the center console. Amazing how much more maneuverability you have inside the cabin of a Suburban, than a mag with 8 more pills and a few extra inches. When we moved around with gun bags, I never had a problem concealing a couple 20's in the kangaroo pouch of my SecondChance. I was almost exclusively with the P after a few years, and me needing more than 60 to break contact would imply some failure on my part.

Right now, the DD that goes wherever I go, goes out the door with one of my 20's. At home I prefer 30, because I'd be more hindered by a reload, where 8 more could be life or death. Hence the HK mags. But I reluctantly admit I only have three 20's, and don't trust the aluminum ones. Not for any reason other than the quality of what I've seen used in the past. Maybe not a distrust, but reluctance. If you know of a good polymer 20rd supplier, other than MagPul, I'm in.

I can say that the feed lips of these HKs are solid. They don't fan rounds everywhere. Used to have a trick in country to unload the aluminum mags really fast for cleaning. Just using a bent up stripper-clip to put pressure on one side and BBRRRRP, empty. Couldn't do that with these, which is a good thing. There's also a much less pronounced curve in the body of the mag, so the follower has a more "true" path. And that thing ain't tilting any damn time soon. 30rds don't cause any issues with bolt pressure as you mentioned.

Have you ever heard of the 20rd mags being referred to as "patrol mags"? I started hearing it in certain areas, and it made a lot of sense. Much like the "nut sack" for a SAW/240, it's a great way to cut down on weapon weight, bulk, and chances of getting caught in your gear. All while allowing you to return fire/gain fire superiority if need be. And best yet, you can get a great NBS position in the prone for uh...tactical eye closures.

Feedback Score
    HK recently ran a cyber Monday sale, buy 2 mags get 1 free. I ordered 10 more mags, received 15, and got a free iPhone 5 case (does not fit my 5S) but was a nice gesture.

All in all, I've been very happy with these mags for recreational use.

Feedback Score
    Now that these have been out for a while, can anyone report on their functioning and reliability over the longterm? And sorry for necromancing this thread.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    There is one guy on HKPro, who claims that one mag unloaded itself in his bag.

My experience is that if you really, really try and smash it hard on the bottom, you can not make it spill rounds, but you can over-insert it when bolt is locked to the rear (I was writing a review on some mags and tested them against round spill - so I tried really hard to induce it). In my case firm tug down on mag cleared a problem.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast