Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: HK translucent polymer magazines

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    I keep saying Magpul needs to come out with a clear P-mag.

Interested to see if these work.
    That would be a home run!
    Never sit at the bargaining table with an empty stomach.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    You could just buy the non colt marked ones for 13.99.
    That's my point the Colt name alone costs $16 dollars (more than the same mag w/ different marking)

Or here for $0.04 less:
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-...-dh-gp30mp.htm

Kinda makes people who are paying a dollar extra for a $15 Gen3 PMag look stupid, right?
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-23-13 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    I wouldnt trust them. There is a reason Lancer has steel feedlips and why magpul never made a tanslucent magazine. In order to get a translucent mag for the AR-15 the feed lips will be very thin, and translucent polymer is by nature far weaker than black polymer.

Also lets not forget HK's last go at mags that ended up so bad they actually got banned for use. Ill try to dig up the proof.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 07-23-13 at 11:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post

Also lets not forget HK's last go at mags that ended up so bad they actually got banned for use. Ill try to dig up the proof.
    PMags are banned...does that mean they're bad?

http://kitup.military.com/2012/05/ar...zed-pmags.html

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    PMags are banned...does that mean they're bad?

http://kitup.military.com/2012/05/ar...zed-pmags.html
    Pretty sure they retracted that. Also the HK mags were cancelled because of their performance.

http://m.military.com/daily-news/201...tml?ESRC=eb.nl

FIELD PROBLEMS WERE IDENTIFIED WITH THE STEEL MAGAZINE(1005-01-520-5992). NO STEEL MAGAZINES WILL BE AVAILABLE UNTIL CORRECTIVE ACTION IS IMPLEMENTED & TESTED TO ASSURE PROPER OPERATION.
    REQUIREMENTS FOR 30 ROUND MAG CAN BE FILLED WITH THE ALUMINUM MAGAZINE NSN 1005-00-921-5004.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 07-23-13 at 11:45.
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Pretty sure they retracted that.
    Dang, it's just so hard to keep up with all the military decisions and take-backs. It's bad enough I have to update my wardrobe every time they change camo patterns.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-23-13 at 11:51.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Dang, it's just so hard to keep up with all the military decisions and take-backs. It's bad enough I have to update my wardrobe every time they change camo patterns.
    I think the Pmag decision lasted all of 5 days or something lol.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I think the Pmag decision lasted all of 5 days or something lol.
    Good thing all of my serious-use mags are neither steel nor polymer and aluminum has never "gone out of favor" in my book no matter what the internet, military or any other 3rd party says. I'm happy to make my own decision rather than follow the herd. Be it the "HK can do no wrong" crowd or the crowd more represented here "HK can do no right", both are doomed to fail without objectivity.

Back to the original topic:
    5 of the new polymers will be tested and abused and results will be reported objectively. Results pending, the rest will either be put to use or be packed away with my remaining steel HK mags for a "rainy day".
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-23-13 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Good thing all of my serious-use mags are neither steel nor polymer and aluminum has never "gone out of favor" in my book no matter what the internet, military or any other 3rd party says. I'm happy to make my own decision rather than follow the herd. Be it the "HK can do no wrong" crowd or the crowd more represented here "HK can do no right", both are doomed to fail without objectivity.

Back to the original topic:
    5 of the new polymers will be tested and abused and results will be reported objectively. Results pending, the rest will either be put to use or be packed away with my remaining steel HK mags for a "rainy day".
    My issue with all polymer mags is this. The feedlips on AR mags is thin, translucent polymer is also far weaker than black polymer.

Combining thin feed lips with a inherently weak polymer is a bad idea. Magpul tried all translucent and broke feedlips, lancer fixed this with steel feed lips.

Unless HK has some special proprietary far superior than Dupont polymer they will not hold up well, especially to abuse.

Also whos testing the polymer mags?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    My issue with all polymer mags is this. The feedlips on AR mags is thin, translucent polymer is also far weaker than black polymer.

Combining thin feed lips with a inherently weak polymer is a bad idea. Magpul tried all translucent and broke feedlips, lancer fixed this with steel feed lips.

Unless HK has some special proprietary far superior than Dupont polymer they will not hold up well, especially to abuse.

Also whos testing the polymer mags?
    I said the same thing back in April of this year on HKPRO (you might have seen it since you're a member there):
    Considering these mags have been on the radar for some time, I hope they don't suffer similar issues as their steel predecessors. In this case, it's the notoriously fragile clear polymers:
    -even in the case of more robust AK mags, the clear "Circle 10" polymer 5.45 and 5.56 magazines are notably more prone to breakage compared to their black polymer
    -Magpul never even launched the smoke clear mags because of this
    -Lancer figured out you need steel feed lips

Not saying one can't have a quality clear polymer mag (G36, Sig550, AUG), but dimensions of the AR mag (or magwell) makes it incredibly difficult.
    But rather than rest on assumptions, curiosity and boredom got the better of me and we're going to see where they really fall. Beats sitting on ass and having to pull 3rd party sources for info.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-23-13 at 12:41.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast