Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HK translucent polymer magazines

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes...DEET. Take any currently available translucent magazine, load it, and submerge in DEET for 24 hours. Do this somewhere you don't mind making a mess. Not a terribly realistic test, but it illustrates the susceptibility of many translucent polymers to DEET.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    oh yeah DEET is a killer, mt wife had some one and didn't know it killed plastic and sat at a picnic table with a red vinyl cloth that touched her legs, it looked like she murdered someone lol.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    Yes...DEET. Take any currently available translucent magazine, load it, and submerge in DEET for 24 hours. Do this somewhere you don't mind making a mess. Not a terribly realistic test, but it illustrates the susceptibility of many translucent polymers to DEET.
    Take any currently available translucent magazine, load it, and submerge in DEET for 24 hours???

Good thing I don't have open pools of DEET everywhere I roam and shoot, falling into one could kill my smoked lancers. (and probably my early Pmags...) While chemical break down of polymer mags when exposed to DEET is a consideration, it doesn't blink very brightly on my magazine purchase-detection radar. I'll just use my AL mags if it it starts raining DEET. In all seriousness I plan on giving a batch of these a run. Knowing H&K's warranty policy, I have complete faith they have been abused to shit before they decided to release them for sale, especially considering the existing saturated polymer magazine market.
    Last edited by E-man930; 07-23-13 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The true reason that I ordered these mags is because I always wanted a clear mag. I doubt I will put these to hard use unless they are better than exceptional.
    A so called big shot Magpul distributor promised me a clear Pmag about 5 years ago and never produced....

On a serious note, H&K has yet to charge my card or send me shipping info...... Anyone else get notice?
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    I have been thinking of ordering on and doing a loaded drop test to concrete to see how they hold up.

Im all for new mags but there are reasons others have not done it, even when using the best polymers available.

Currently the only translucent AR mags have been lancers and tangodown and both do not have translucent polymer feed lips.
    Don't worry, I ordered some and will be doing that. I'll post a video

Feedback Score
    I got confirmation today from Tasha at HK, usually shipping is the day I get the confirmation or the day after.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by E-man930 View Post
    Take any currently available translucent magazine, load it, and submerge in DEET for 24 hours???

Good thing I don't have open pools of DEET everywhere I roam and shoot, falling into one could kill my smoked lancers. (and probably my early Pmags...) While chemical break down of polymer mags when exposed to DEET is a consideration, it doesn't blink very brightly on my magazine purchase-detection radar. I'll just use my AL mags if it it starts raining DEET. In all seriousness I plan on giving a batch of these a run. Knowing H&K's warranty policy, I have complete faith they have been abused to shit before they decided to release them for sale, especially considering the existing saturated polymer magazine market.
    New Lancers are built to withstand DEET. and DEET submersion is a military testing thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

HK translucent polymer magazines

Yes it's one of the tests in the TOP, along with some other weird and some more mundane fluids, most of which have no effect on most magazine polymers, but some translucent materials can be more susceptible. That's really the only relevance. "DEET resistance" is one of those relative things with translucent materials. Submersion over any length of time will still kill all the translucent body materials out there that I'm aware of...it's just a matter of how much DEET and how much time. Fortunately, unless you have a night job filling tiny bottles of bug juice from 55 gal drums, it's unlikely that you'll encounter enough DEET to cause issues with newer translucent materials.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: HK translucent polymer magazines

With all these translucent magazines, I wonder why someone hasn't modified their magazine well so you can see exactly how many rounds you have left instead of aligning a painted spring section with numbers on the bottom of the mag?
    Last edited by Koshinn; 07-23-13 at 23:57.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    With all these translucent magazines, I wonder why someone hasn't modified their magazine well so you can see exactly how many rounds you have left instead of aligning a painted spring section with numbers on the bottom of the mag?
    It is like those cars, that show you remaining range until low fuel turns on and range disappears. In this case when all your rounds are inside magwell and you do not see them, this is "low fuel" warning

BTW HK mags probably pass "military test" flying colours. But "internet test"? I'm not so sure

On serious note. It is little apple to oragnes, but I have example of AK style mags (polymer AK style mags are much easier to do than STANAG mags, I know). Back in 1994 polish factory in Radom was without magazine supplier (steel magazines manufacturer Wifama bankrupt and stopped making them). Guys in Radom decided for polymer mag. They started to make black mags, with steel reinforcement inserts everywhere. Some time later Army wanted to have translucent mags. Radom started to make white translucent mags, with steel reinforcing inserts. Those where big fail (maybe not so big, but if you have 5.56 AK, stay away from those mags). Polymer was getting brittle with time and mags were cracking. But mags where cracking around inserts. So they came with new design, that got rid of inserts, changed polymer to make it more elastic and those mags GTG. They pass all military acceptance tests here (based on old school USSR testing procedures) and our troops have zero problems with them. But Internet... Internet knows that AK polymer mag must have steel inserts...

My point is, that HK was not founded yesterday and not overnight. They know their trade and they make for military - everything they make is military grade. They do not have any other, translucent or not, polymer STANAG mag. They designed this one from the scratch. I think they know where weak points are. Can those mags be broken? Sure. Man is always stronger than matter. Magpul or Lancer mags can be broken if one is persistent enough to do that. Will those mag give up with time an use? Sure. As everything eventually will
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast