Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: practical civilian use of a DBAL/PEQ laser device

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)

practical civilian use of a DBAL/PEQ laser device

I have seen many ARs setup with an Aimpoint T-1 along with a DBAL/PEQ device right behind the front sight and I happen to find this very intriguing. I don't know if the set ups i have seen were LEOs, however i do know that some of those devices are not sold to civilians. Is there any practical use for one as a civilian? Is it worth the Price? I have seen prices ranging from $800-$2k for one of these devices. I will be getting an Aimpoint micro in the near future and i am thinking about spending the extra $50 and getting the T-1 instead of the H-1, which coupled with one of these devices which has an IR spotlight will allow you to identify in dark. Obviously if i were to obtain one of these devices it will be even farther down the road, but it helps to plan ahead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't forget you'll also need a night vision device of some sort (e.g. PVS-14) to see both the T-1 red dot on one of the night-vision settings and the IR laser/flood on a PEQ/DBAL. That's another $2-3k for a Gen 3 night vision device.

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    I though you could see the dot and flood through the t-1, no?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by black22rifle View Post
    If there's a PVS-14 mounted behind it, then you can turn the T1 down low enough that its dot is visible in the PVS-14 without blooming out the rest of the scene. The T-1 has no night vision capability...it just has super dim settings that aren't visible without looking through night vision.

It's not a very good way to run NV in almost any circumstance...an IR laser and head mounted PVS-14 is way superior.

If there's IR spectrum light, you need night vision to see it. NV ready Aimpoints simply play a little better with those devices, but they don't actually provide any night vision.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 09-03-13 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    N/M, answered above!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    No. You need a NVG of some sort to even see the dot in the Aimpoint while it is on a Night Vision setting.

The cool thing about IR lasers, and lights, is that you cannot see them unless you are using "NODs"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No.

As thopkins stated, the T-1 being "NVG compatible" means that the T-1's dot has reticle intensity settings that allow it to be used in conjunction with an I-square device...

...not that the T-1 is an I-square device. It's not.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Practical civi use for NV devices? Not much in my book, outside of security work (private/corporate).
    Reasoning being the extra training needed to be proficient with all gear associated (depth perception while moving, driving, aiming, adjustments, etc.). Also, for all parts involved, you're looking at $5000 +, which in my opinion is better spent on training, ammo, and other less 'needy' gear.
    Costs money to look cool.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atg336 View Post
    Practical civi use for NV devices? Not much in my book, outside of security work (private/corporate).
    Reasoning being the extra training needed to be proficient with all gear associated (depth perception while moving, driving, aiming, adjustments, etc.). Also, for all parts involved, you're looking at $5000 +, which in my opinion is better spent on training, ammo, and other less 'needy' gear.
    Costs money to look cool.
    No? What about hunting at night for Varmints, Predators, Hogs?

Feedback Score
    For that you don't need a PEQ, PVS14 or 7B, but if one feels strongly enough about spending the dime on night scopes or/as well as all the other gadgets to kill pests then its a free country dude (go to TNVC to spend though - support the sponsors!)

Even if you do have the pocket change for NV devices and spent the time and money for the training to play SOF man in the backyard, you have to remember to do so frequently because, like all training, it is a perishable skill set.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast