Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for help

Feedback Score

looking for help

I have an S&W M&P15T I am righthanded but left eye dominant so I can not sight in my rifle I have only fired hand guns prior to owening my AR so it hasn't been a problem I guess I could learn to shoot left handed but it feels vey awkward so my question is does anyone know if mounting some type of optics might help and if so what type I really want to learn to shoot this rifle so any help would be greatly appreciated

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am heavily left eye dominant, and right handed. I shoot with my right eye anyway. Stop giving up, and try harder. How many hours have you put into training yourself to use your right eye with the rifle?

On a brighter note, support side drills and barricades are always easier. :-)
    Last edited by Stickman; 07-27-13 at 16:42.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Largely right-eye dominant, and left-handed. I use my left eye. Where rifles are concerned, this is really more of a training issue than one of pure physiology.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for replying do you use any optics to help you with this problem as of yet I haven't spent any time shooting this rifle since I cant even line up the sights right handed

Feedback Score
    like the others have said, it is an issue that training will probably solve. just keep practicing and your eyes will adjust.

Feedback Score

Re: looking for help

I also am right handed and left eye dominant. During my army days I was told to shoot rifle and shotgun left handed and pistol right handed. No problems (thank god for the brass deflector).

Over the first 10 years of my LE career I started shoiting righty and closing my left eye and using the right eye. Somehiw my right eye became my dominant eye. I found that odd but welcome.

Bottom line: shoot right handed/most natural for you and close or patch the left eye. A little trick I used was to place a piece of tape on the left lense of my eye pro. Not the whole lense just in front of the ey/vision path.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Try practicing with a patch over your left eye
    Never sit at the bargaining table with an empty stomach.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aguila327 View Post
    I also am right handed and left eye dominant. During my army days I was told to shoot rifle and shotgun left handed and pistol right handed. No problems (thank god for the brass deflector).

Over the first 10 years of my LE career I started shoiting righty and closing my left eye and using the right eye. Somehiw my right eye became my dominant eye. I found that odd but welcome.

Bottom line: shoot right handed/most natural for you and close or patch the left eye. A little trick I used was to place a piece of tape on the left lense of my eye pro. Not the whole lense just in front of the ey/vision path.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Back in college our shotgun sports coach would use the tape over the eye trick for shooters who were having the same cross-dominance issue. Shooting a shotgun, like a handgun (or a rifle at 1x for me) requires both eyes to be open, but it can be really difficult when you're left eye dominant shooting right handed. Like others have said, with the right training and a trick or two, your brain will figure it out. I would try putting a piece of tape on your eye pro like was mentioned in the quoted post and see if that helps any.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Good points. One of the things that you learn quite a bit about in military aviation service is how the human eye is put together, and why it functions as it does. Dominance is a real concept, but training easily trumps it when interfacing with most types of technology.

I had to go through this most significantly when the NVG-mounted HUD system was fielded in the Army's first-line helicopter fleet some 15 years ago. Although the projection monocle can be mounted on either tube of the NVGs, the associated wiring (and one's seating position in the aircraft) can strongly influence where you ultimately decide to mount it. With training, I learned that either eye is capable of processing the information and getting the job done, as the real work is not being done by the eye, so much as by the brain itself. In time, the comfort level became very nearly the same, left or right. Years -- many years -- before, I dealt with much the same thing when we flew UH-1s with older-generation "faceplated" NVGs, and were forced to focus one tube to infinity, and the other to the instrument panel. The brain will make sense of it, if you do your part.

Don't get too knotted-up about which eye is stronger or more dominant. Just shoulder the rifle naturally, take the time to get accustomed to the iron sights, and consider adding an Aimpoint to the mix once you're comfortable down the road. In a few months' time, you'll be looking back and feeling silly that you ever really had any concerns about this. Training. Repetition. Success.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    I am left-eye dominant and right handed and shoot pistol and rifle right handed. I started rifle shooting at an early age and my brain has adjusted. I have long used two eyes open to quickly find my target in a high powered scope, so moving to the use of a 1x scope has been natural.

Try some of the tips outlined by the other posters. You'll get it if you just keep plugging away at it.

Where I struggle is when shooting shotguns. I am never going to be a member of our Olympic trap or skeet shooting team, if you know what I mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast