Thread: Scope + red dot questions

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Scope + red dot questions

I'm brand new to shooting and ARs (first gun a couple months ago) but actually bothered to use the search button to learn a bit first, so I think I have a halfway intelligent question:

I'm leaning towards Aimpoint Pro for a red dot. Seems to be a concensus good choice for the money from what I'm reading. However, red dots don't seem that effective beyond 75 or 100 yards from what I can tell.

I'd like a setup that works for a home intruder as well as longer range shots. I've seen a few threads of people mounting a scope on top for longer distances and also a red dot at an angle for shorter shots. Best of both worlds without switching out. Let's assume I go with Aimpoint Pro. What is a good angled mount to fit a Colt 6920 with Magpul furniture? Any guidance on a comparable quality scope out to 300 yards? Choosing the red dot seems easy as they are a few quality brands but the choices on scopes and appropriate mounting of this combo have my head shaking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Scope + red dot questions

I don't think you'll want to angle mount a Pro. They're a little large for that. I think a micro RDS would better suit your needs.
    You can also go with a magnifer behind an RDS but that will add some weight to your set up.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ryno12; 07-29-13 at 19:22.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    If you are just getting your new AR driver's license keep it simple. Don't worry about fancy scopes and fancier offsets. Buy that PRO. Train, shoot, repeat. Get good at stabilizing the rifle, trigger control, breathing, mindset, etc. An instructor once told me that while taking longer shots ", Calm yourself and think you ARE the sniper...you WILL hit your target". It works. Mind over gear.

Grab up the PRO and get proficient with it. Practice with that 2 MOA dot. You'd be surprised at what you can hit out to your said 300 yards with a 1X Aimpoint. But it is so much more than just what optic you have attached.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    If you are just getting your new AR driver's license keep it simple. Don't worry about fancy scopes and fancier offsets. Buy that PRO. Train, shoot, repeat. Get good at stabilizing the rifle, trigger control, breathing, mindset, etc. An instructor once told me that while taking longer shots ", Calm yourself and think you ARE the sniper...you WILL hit your target". It works. Mind over gear.

Grab up the PRO and get proficient with it. Practice with that 2 MOA dot. You'd be surprised at what you can hit out to your said 300 yards with a 1X Aimpoint. But it is so much more than just what optic you have attached.

-Jax

This is great advice IMO. Not sure why you think the PRO will not be effective past 75-100 yards, and I also am guessing perhaps you overestimate your needs to shoot beyond those distances? Seems from the info you gave, that self defense would be primary purpose for this carbine, so I would focus on that for starters.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, if you are going to shoot for tight groups an optic with crosshairs is what you want. You will not shoot one ragged hole with the dot. If you want to shoot steel targets out to and beyond 300 meters the dot will preform. Like others said, shoot the gun and decide exactly what you want to do before sinking a lot of cash on equipment that could have been better spent and have fun.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good advice. I'm going to buy that Aimpoint Pro and shoot it and go from there. I can always address any perceived shortcomings later.

I'm new to ARs but loving this forum so far. Tons of great info on here. Thanks!