Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please give me your thoughts on my 9MM dimensions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Please give me your thoughts on my 9MM dimensions

I'm setting up my dies and I think I got them ready to go. I'm using a Dillon 550 and haven't set my powder charge yet. Just getting everything else set. I'm using a Remington 115g FMJ RN http://www.midwayusa.com/product/252...-bulk-packaged

After resizing the case width is 0.375.

After flaring the flare width is 0.390.

After bullet seating the OAL is 1.105.

After crimping the width is 0.376 at the crimp. It's 0.377 just below the crimp.

Do these numbers look good? I'm going to be using IMR SR4756 and CCI 500 primers to start because that's all I could find that was in my reloading manual.
    America is not at war... The U.S. Military is at war... America is at the mall.
    I love cigars!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own a RL550B and I think it is a great reloader. You should get years of use out of it.

I like a 0.001"-0.0015" crimp on my bullets and it sounds like you are at 0.001". When belling the case mouth, I like to bell it just enough that lead does not shave when loading. When I load FMJ projectiles, I don't bell it as much as with lead. If you bell the case mouth too much, you won't get as many reloads out of your brass. You will have to play with the belling adjustment until you find the sweet spot.

I highly recommend a loaded cartridge gauge to verify the ammunition will feed in most 9mm handguns. The gauge I use is this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/888...gage-9mm-luger. It does not take that long to check your cartridges and it will save you some headaches at the range. Until you pick up a gauge, you can remove the barrel from your pistol and use it as a makeshift gauge. If the back of the reloaded cartridge will not clear the barrel hood, it probably won't allow the pistol slide to go into full battery. What feeds in one pistol will not neccessarily feed in another pistol, so I strongly suggest ordering the loaded cartridge gauge.

When starting off with a particular cartridge, I start at the low end of the recommended charge weight. Any time I change the crimp or C.O.L. for a load I lower the powder charge and work my way back up until I reach optimum accuracy and function.
    Last edited by T2C; 07-31-13 at 20:48.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info! I do have a case gauge and this round fits just fine. I'll got ahead and back the flare off a bit.
    America is not at war... The U.S. Military is at war... America is at the mall.
    I love cigars!

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

9 mm

Sounds like your on the right track. For what its worth, I try to set up OAL as recommended per reloading manual. But its ultimately dependent on chamber dimensions (for accuracy, function) and magazine dimensions (feeding issues). When I initially started reloading 115 gr 9mm I was amazed at the huge range of OAL of factory rounds (Measured 15 different bands). I set my OAL @ 1.16 for 115 RN and it has worked well in all my 9 mm guns.

Be careful measuring your crimp dimensions. Once after resetting my dies I got careless in measuring the crimp dimension. I accidently set it at .375 instead of my normal .378. You wouldn't think that was a big deal. But, I had huge issues with accuracy and consistency until I traced the problem back to "over crimping". Just my experience, take it for what its worth considering it is "free internet info"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The WORST thing I EVER did in reloading was get the calipers out and start head ****ing myself on stupid dimensions.

Take a barrel out of a pistol and make the round fit the chamber... .. make it look like a factory round... move on... enjoy life.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Take a barrel out of a pistol and make the round fit the chamber... .. make it look like a factory round... move on... enjoy life.
    I found out the hard way that my loads for 9mm worked great in my Sig but then would not fully chamber in my XDsc. So if you have more than 1 gun, check each chamber.....
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by streck View Post
    I found out the hard way that my loads for 9mm worked great in my Sig but then would not fully chamber in my XDsc. So if you have more than 1 gun, check each chamber.....
    I ran into the same issue. That is why I picked up a loaded cartridge gauge and a small base sizing die. Now my reloads will run in anything I own.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is your friend.
    And it's even on sale.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The WORST thing I EVER did in reloading was get the calipers out and start head ****ing myself on stupid dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFingers View Post
    This is your friend.
    And it's even on sale.
    I agree with the above !!! Its good to be safe/precise,,etc,,,but your waaay over thinking it ! Make sure the over all length is good and the crimp is enough and you will be good !! If I'm going to a match I will check some rds in my BBL,if they drop in and fall out your good,,if they don't it could be crap brass that doesn't size right all the time,,I know CBC brass is junk,,there are a couple others but can't think of them at the moment !!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with starting at the low end of OAL. The beauty of reloading is you can tailor your loads to your chamber and get better performance out of your ammo. I like to run my OAL alittle long at 1.15 as it seems to get me better accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast