Thread: Setting up a Mossberg 500 as a defensive shotgun

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Setting up a Mossberg 500 as a defensive shotgun

I picked up a 535 recently, and am looking at turning it into a defensive ("tactical" if you like) shotgun for classes. Before anyone tells me to go to the class with a stock gun before I put anything on it, been there done that with an 870 quiet a bit. I know what I'd like to add to the gun I just don't know who makes what for Mossberg's.

The receiver on the 535 is drilled and tapped for a rail. A 535 uses a slightly different mag tube design then the 500, but it is replaceable with a 500 mag tube and will then except any 500 accessory.

Things I'd like recommendations on:

A combination ghost ring/picatinny top rail similar to the Vangcomp setup, with either a titrium or fiber front sight. A separate rail and sight setup would work as well.

Light mount (or picatinny section to mount a light to) that fits between the barrel and magazine tube, forwards near the muzzle.

Thanks in advance,

-Jenrick

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm not sure if it will work for the the 535 without the mag tube switch you mentioned, but I used a "Tri-Rail" on my 500 Marine. I believe it's a LaserLyte product, here's a link: http://www.laserlyte.com/products/adp-trir-140 I have a barrel shroud on mine, which it bolts through. The result is a solid platform for a Surefire X300. It's a lightweight setup that is ergonomic (I'm right handed so I have the light placed on the left side of the gun which puts my left thumb right on the lights switch) and close to the muzzle for minimal shadowing. It's also easy to remove the light when it's not needed.