Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT MWSE - Heavy Carbine

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

LMT MWSE - Heavy Carbine

After reading a lot about LMT MWSE, I decided that I wanted one myself. Initially I wanted to use it as a semi automatic precision rifle, however, after buying and shooting it, I think I will use it more as a “Heavy” Carbine with a precision capability.
    After purchasing the rifle, I disassembled, lubricated it. I also removed the barrel and reinstalled it using the supplied torque wrench at 140”/lb.
    Since the rifle came in an AWB compliant version, the SOPMOD is screwed to the RE fairly far back, making the rifle feel “longer”.
    I was also disappointed in that the rifle came with an ASC magazine, despite the fact that KAC makes 10 round magazines as well.
    Initial range session:
    I decided to test the accuracy. I went to the 100 yard range, and used Leupold MK 4 6.5-20, M5, TMR.
    At first I tried PPU 168 gr match. I must have gotten a bad batch, since this ammo DOES NOT work in 3 separate rifle: Rem 700, AI AE with Krieger barrel, and now MWSE. However, it’s good enough to get on paper.
    After that I fired a 10 shot group wtih Fed 7.62, 175gr. I got about 1.1 MOA which I was happy with.

Upgrades:
    Since I didn’t find the pinned stock comfortable, I decided to replace it with Magpul’s FCS. I also ordered heavy buffers’ .308 buffer and spring in order to be able to use standard carbine RE.
    I decided to replace the Ergo pistol grip wtih MOE+.
    The stock is nice, although a little short compared to what I am used to. I added the PRS extended pad to see if it feels better. I may consider trying the Magpul’s fixed rifle stock next.
    I also ordered four, ten round DPMS magazines. Despite their follower looking flimsier than ASC’s, they functioned and fed fine in my rifle. For now, they will my go to magazines, until I can find Magpul’s mythical LR 10.
    I also changed the Leupold for an Aimpoint. I plan on putting a 1 - n scope on this rifle on a permanent basis. Just haven’t decided which one.

Questions:
    I am also planning on buying another 16” CL barrel and having it reprofiled to the thinnest profile recommended. However, I have two options when it comes to muzzle devices:
    1. Cut the threads off and recrown or
    2. Permanetly attach a muzzle brake. I have MB 762 that I am thinking of using for this.
    I am also toying with the idea of cutting the bbl to 14.5” since the brake is permanently attached. Which one of the above options makes most sense, since this bbl’s purpose is to make the rifle as light and “handy” as possible.

Photos:
    Initial configuration for accuracy testing

100 yard, 10 shot group

FSC stock and MOE+

Feedback Score
    I just purchased the same rifle. I have yet to shoot it, so I'm glad this popped up.

These are interesting results so far. I plan on using mine for pretty much the same things (heavy carbine and light precision), so I'd like to contribute my experiences here as well (in order to not clog up the forum).. This is, of course, only with the permission of the OP and mods.

Why did you remove and re-torque the barrel first?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I read somewhere that people were getting inconsistent accuracy and wanted to be sure that the barrel was properly torque. Plus, I also wanted to get familiar with this feature.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, that makes sense.. thanks!!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    There have been many instances of DPMS magazines falling down hard on users. Keep an eye on the feed-lips, especially at the rear.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I'm taking mine to the range tomorrow, so I'll post up my own range report.

Feedback Score
    How do you like the FCS stock? I am finding that my MWS is going to remain a light precision/DMR configuration and therefore an adjustable stock is not really necessary. I only move my ACS one or two settings back anyway. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The FCS is nice, but just a hair shorter than what I normally use. For reference, after taking the Streetfighter class, I started to use EMOD 1 click in from fully extended. When I shoulder the MWS, I end up nose to charging handle. Having added the PRS pad, it's a little better. I also have not shot the rifle with a scope since putting the FCS on it. The only reason I have FCS is because of local AWB. I would rather have a collapsible stock. Even if you never move it, the option is still there.
    Last edited by andy t; 08-23-13 at 19:40.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    There have been many instances of DPMS magazines falling down hard on users. Keep an eye on the feed-lips, especially at the rear.
    Thank you for the heads up. I will be on the look out. I was also surprised at how flimsy the followers look, even compared to ASC ones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andy t View Post
    The FCS is nice, but just a hair shorter than what I normally use. For reference, after taking the Streetfighter class, I started to use EMOD 1 click in from fully extended. When I shoulder the MWS, I end up nose to charging handle. Having added the PRS pad, it's a little better. I also have not shot the rifle with a scope since putting the FCS on it. The only reason I have FCS is because of local AWB. I would rather have a collapsible stock. Even if you never move it, the option is still there.

Quite true, well, I haven't changed it yet. Maybe leave well enough alone for now. I think it might be better to start reloading .308, shoot the rifle more and see if I really need to switch it out. Time will tell. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast