Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the worst that could happen if you ccw?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What's the worst that could happen if you ccw?

I know I sound like I'm beating a dead horse, and I may be completely misunderstanding their verbiage , so I'll stop after this. If you refer back to the link I posted, nothing about that sign would prohibit you from legally CCW in the establishment that its posted at. And yes, I have been accused of being a nitpick from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    The sign I posted could be from any business that so chooses to put it up and bar CCW holders from entering their building. I've only seen it on two businesses here a Taco Cabana that IIRC was an independently owned franchise and Jared jewelers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    I heard today that Starbucks is taking some heat for allowing people to carry in their stores. More accurately, just refusing to not allow it.

My question is, if you can carry legally in your state but some store decides to put a rule against it, what could happen? They ask you to leave? Get you for trespassing if you refuse? No way their "rule" could trump any state or federal law right?
    In my state just passing by any sign (does not have to be a specific sign or format) stating that firearms are not allowed on private property is automatically criminal trespass, a fourth class misdemeanor.

You don't have to refuse to leave once you're asked to for the offense to occur. Once you cross the threshold into private property knowing that the owner does not want you armed you've committed the offense. Whether it's easy to get away with it or not is a completely different story.

As to your question of legal precedence, well, federal law is outside its jurisdiction controlling concealed carry outside of federal properties. And unless state law specifically PROHIBITS private property owners from refusing entry to those armed, property owners can do as they wish to control access to their properties. And I know of no state that prevents property owners from deciding if firearms will be allowed on their premises or not.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 08-04-13 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    In Ohio, the signage thing can be confusing. If the sign has the specific Ohio law code at the bottom, it carries weight I believe. If it does not have the Ohio code, then it is just a "we don't like your kind here" sign.
    Not true. The ORC is silent on the matter of sign content and the state AG has clarified the question several times. It can be a handwritten note taped to the door says "no firearms" or "no weapons" and it is good to go. Ignoring it is automatically criminal trespass.

Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    How would someone know unless you are carrying openly?? A mall that I sometimes frequent with my kids (indoor playground) has signs at each MALL entrance. However.....If someone were to enter via the Macys entrance, NO signs whatsoever. No signs seen going from Macys into the mall itself either. What say you on this matter??? Is it still legal? Can I play dumb and say I entered via Macys and didn't see any signs??
    If you enter through a door that is not posted, then you are good to go.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Be sober as well. Goes without saying, but still needs to be mentioned.
    Not in Nevada where you can be under .10 and still be legal

I'm only kidding so don't get bent out of shape.

Feedback Score

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You should absolutely know all applicable laws before carrying a concealed weapon in your state. That's called due diligence and responsible ownership.

If you don't know, find out. Ignorance is not bliss, it's reeeeeeeeeeally expensive.

ETA: Moose-Knuckle, thanks for posting the trespass link.

Edited to add yet one more time: rocsteady, that was not intended to sound like a smackdown to you. I thought about it, and it may have read a bit harsh. It was meant as advice for anyone that carries without knowing the laws in their state.
    No worries. I have it easier than most being a FED but I still find it "interesting"; in the same way that I find it "interesting" that states and even particular cities can decide which parts of the Constitution they are going to agree with and which parts they will pretend don't exist. Are you listening Schumer, Cuomo, Bloomberg?
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As mentioned, the rules and consequences for concealed carry vary widely from state to state. Texas, I note, is pretty restrictive despite it's general reputation as a gun-friendly state.

In Minnesota, a consistently blue state, statutes allow a business to put up a "no guns" sign and specify the wording and even the font to be used. However, such a sign here is no more than a request by the store...simply a notifcation that if they catch you carrying a gun, they may ask you to leave. The sign doesn't have the force of law and anyone can just ignore it. If they catch you carrying, the manager of the store can ask you spedifically to leave. If you refuse to leave when they ask you, only then can you be charged with trespass. And even if they do charge you with trespass, they can't confiscate your gun, the fine for that trespass is statutorily $25, no court costs, and the charge can't have any bearing of a subsequent PTC application. In Texas OTOH, you can't print, you can't go in a bar, and "no gun" signs have the force of law. Ignoring such a sign can get you arrested for trespass. In Texas, that's a Class A misdemeanor and having that on your record prevents you from having a handgun permit. Bottom line, it varies state by state. I'm grateful that I don't have to worry about carrying in bars, churches or hospitals, don't have to worry about accidentally printing, and I can ignore "no guns allowed" signs. Other states, Texas for example, are not so gun-friendly.

As to Starbucks, they've been taking heat for this for years but their corporate policy is no more complicated than their stores will simply abide by state law where a given store is located. If open carry is legal in the state then open carry is legal in Starbucks. If they change that corporate policy and decide to ban guns then I'll still be able to carry at Starbucks in Minnesota, but they won't in Texas.

Sure, any company can refuse service to anyone as long as its not on the basis of race, gender etc...any protected class.
    Last edited by Hmac; 08-05-13 at 22:26.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123