Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Scout vs other Surefire lights

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In addition to easier mounting capabilities and pressure switch, I also much prefer the beam pattern of the weapon lights. The general use lights have a much less focused beam and greater spill, which is perfect for every day use. But with it's tight hotspot he Scout reaches out surprisingly far for the number of lumens. I would certainly trust any Surefire light on a weapon, but much prefer the ones designed for the task.

Disclaimer: I'm not a flashlight geek so I applogize if any of my terminology is not correct.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    In addition to easier mounting capabilities and pressure switch, I also much prefer the beam pattern of the weapon lights. The general use lights have a much less focused beam and greater spill, which is perfect for every day use. But with it's tight hotspot he Scout reaches out surprisingly far for the number of lumens. I would certainly trust any Surefire light on a weapon, but much prefer the ones designed for the task.

Disclaimer: I'm not a flashlight geek so I applogize if any of my terminology is not correct.
    Absolutely, the best part of having the beam stay tight like the scout does, is that inside of a house your point of impact is right around the center of the light beam. It makes a great index for snap shots in close quarters.
    Do not go gentle into that good night...rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Go with a single output Fury and the Impact Weapons Components light mount of your choice and you'll be good to go.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sf-p2x-a-bk-tactical.html

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...t/light-mount/

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Can someone explain to me why a Surefire Scout Ultra is a better weapon light than a Fury or E2D Ultra? I had read the "other" lights aren't "weapon rated" but it seems thousands of people are doing this without problems. What justifys the extra cost? I have no interest in running a pressure pad
    The 2 stage mechanism of the E2D ultra causes it to flicker under recoil and change between High and Low output. Not ideal.

However a single stage Fury works great. The biggest differences from what I can tell are how the beams are focused and the different amount of spill. I feel the Scout can reach out farther and is the main selling point. Also the shrouded tailcap and pressure switch and integrated mount of course.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    The 2 stage mechanism of the E2D ultra causes it to flicker under recoil and change between High and Low output. Not ideal.

However a single stage Fury works great. The biggest differences from what I can tell are how the beams are focused and the different amount of spill. I feel the Scout can reach out farther and is the main selling point. Also the shrouded tailcap and pressure switch and integrated mount of course.
    The fixed output SF models are the ones to use - I tried running an E2D on my wife's carbine, and found the switching to be unacceptable - replaced it with the VTAC L4, and that got me started buying more of the L4 lights.

The Fury, and G2X are the other affordable ones - there are lots of small reasons why I prefer the E series based lights (I run mine in a somewhat rare configuration of a 12:00 mounted tubular light; I prefer high spill over longer throw; and I really like the Z38 tailcap better), but the G2X is arguably the best value, and the Fury is the best if you really need some insane throw and power out of a stock light.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The other Surefire lights might not be "rated" for weapons use, but I talked to Surefire CS before I bought my G2X Tactical and the person told me all of their similar single output lights would hold up just as well to recoil etc. as anything.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post
    The other Surefire lights might not be "rated" for weapons use, but I talked to Surefire CS before I bought my G2X Tactical and the person told me all of their similar single output lights would hold up just as well to recoil etc. as anything.
    I suppose this is what interests me the most... what makes a Scout "weapons rated" and a Fury/G2X/E2D not?

I'm plan to order a Scout on Monday, trying to reason with myself that its worth the extra money. Buy once, cry once.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As others have said, my presumption is that it's not so much that the Scout is "weapons RATED" per se. I think it's more in the mounting system, and it is possible that on higher caliber weapons the Scout lights would hold up better. My correspondence with Surefire was specific to the 5.56 platform.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I bought an E2D "Defender," and ended up putting it on my rifle. It works great with the limited night shooting I did, however, I did not notice the flickering of it under recoil so I have not shot with it enough at night.

Does anyone know if changing the tailcap to make it single output, will stop this?

OP sorry for highjacking your thread.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Buy once, cry once.
    That's the ticket.

I just noticed your avatar...are you LE? If so, I'd say it's even more important to not skimp on something as important as your weapon light.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast