Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Scout vs other Surefire lights

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    I bought an E2D "Defender," and ended up putting it on my rifle. It works great with the limited night shooting I did, however, I did not notice the flickering of it under recoil so I have not shot with it enough at night.

Does anyone know if changing the tailcap to make it single output, will stop this?

OP sorry for highjacking your thread.
    It's the head itself - under recoil the thing thinks you've double tapped the tailcap to nudge it to a different output setting. A new illum module (bezel/lamp assembly) unfortunately is the answer to that question.

To be honest, I'd just make the E2D your walking around light, and then run a different light as a weaponlight (if you want to recycle the mount, just get the VTAC L4, and hot-swap the tailcap and illum module and you'll be done - that's what I did with mine.

As far as why the scout costs what it does - I was discussing with with Rackham1, but the reason the Scout costs so much is because it is the premier 'buy one light that will work' solution, making it the go-to NSN option (if the user can tighten a thumbscrew, they can run the light correctly), the mount is adequate for use even on MMG's, and as a result the Scout line is the first to benefit from the R&D SureFire is putting towards improving stuff for future .gov contracts (e.g. the High Output illum modules, the Vampire White/IR updated units, etc.).
    Same with the tailcap - it comes with a very good clicky tailcap, as well as a pressure switch. It's not the SR07 one, which is excellent, but it's a good, working one. Basically the overall package covers the needs of an individual user pretty well, with flexibility they may not realize they even need, and at a durability/form factor that is helpfully overkill.

I have two of the scout lights, and I really like them both, especially with the superlative GearSector offset mount; but if I'm running a really smooth shooting, heavy, suppressed AR then I have little doubt that the same make of E Series mount with the VTAC light in it will hold up just as well. Running tubular lights at 12:00, I want narrow ones. So, if I want one set of the feature set advertised in by the Scout (KX1/2 illum module, Z38 tailcap, the thinner main tube, and ability to attach an SR07 pressure switch) then the VTAC is the cost-effective approach.

If I don't care about the thin-ness of the light, and not as partial to the Z38 tailcap, then the G2X and Fury become the most value in weaponlights - in a good mount they'll do the same job, and cost a ton less.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    That's the ticket.

I just noticed your avatar...are you LE? If so, I'd say it's even more important to not skimp on something as important as your weapon light.
    Yes, LE and the light will go on my MK18 duty weapon. I'm with you 100%, I try to buy the best/toughest parts for work. I had pretty much made up my mind the Scout was the way to go, just trying to learn as much as possible so I can justify the purchase

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Yes, LE and the light will go on my MK18 duty weapon. I'm with you 100%, I try to buy the best/toughest parts for work. I had pretty much made up my mind the Scout was the way to go, just trying to learn as much as possible so I can justify the purchase
    LE use? Something that may see use as an entry carbine? Likely to spend days thumping around in a case, or in the trunk of a vehicle? Will likely see handling in and out of a vehicle? If you need it at night, you'll absolutely want it to come on without question?

All of these point towards - spend the money on the Scout, and don't look back. You want the most solidly mounted setup possible, and you can't beat integral. That head and tailcap are my favorite for a reason, and I'm somebody who owns more $$$ in surefire products than my truck (only vehicle I own) is worth. If you are looking to justify the purchase, it's all right there.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    LE use? Something that may see use as an entry carbine? Likely to spend days thumping around in a case, or in the trunk of a vehicle? Will likely see handling in and out of a vehicle? If you need it at night, you'll absolutely want it to come on without question?

All of these point towards - spend the money on the Scout, and don't look back. You want the most solidly mounted setup possible, and you can't beat integral. That head and tailcap are my favorite for a reason, and I'm somebody who owns more $$$ in surefire products than my truck (only vehicle I own) is worth. If you are looking to justify the purchase, it's all right there.
    Yes, yes, and yes. Thanks for your input, it seem's stupid to skimp on something so important. I'll likely not even use the pressure-pad, as in my opinion they are more failure prone.

Would you choose a Scout over an X300? I had originally planned on that mounted at 12 o'clock, but im not sure i like it as much. Do you think the X300's are as tough as a Scout?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've ran a Fury on my rifle through different training programs on my department and have fired thousands of rounds without and degradation in any part of the light. I know trainers that run them on their personal rifles for classes and their loaner rifles for students whose guns go down during the class.

I have multiple X300's I've ran on rifles and thousands of rounds through a pistol. The only thing I've had happen to a light is the glass on the bezel came loose. The light still functions 100%, it's just not sealed and water tight any longer. That light now sits at home on a gun so it's not an issue being it's taken months to get any kind of RMA from Surefire.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Would you choose a Scout over an X300? I had originally planned on that mounted at 12 o'clock, but im not sure i like it as much. Do you think the X300's are as tough as a Scout?
    This is where I stop being of much help. My shortest rifles, and my wife's run an X300 in front of a DD Fixed Front sight (so 3 X300's). I also run X300's on all my useful pistols (4 more X300's). My lightweight 16" carbines both wear M300 Scouts, one on a stock mount, the SR-15 needs the GearSector Offset (so 2 M300's). My precision 16" wears a VTAC L4 3V Mini on a VLTOR mount (basically another M300). My two 18" SPRs wear an X600 6V Scout, and VTAC 6V L4 on an 03DG Offset mount, and I have another rifle with a VTAC L4 6V in a DD Offset mount. I basically have three of each flavor - the short rifles get X300's, my 16" rifles get 3V M300 Scouts, and my longer guns get the X600's.

To make matters worse, the X300Ultra exists, which even more light output for carbine applications. The mount isn't going to be as abuse resistant, but ran at 12:00 and butted up against a DD Fixed front sight, it'll stay on there securely and not be an ALD liability, which in my opinion makes the X300 an excellent choice, because it's a short, compact, ambidextrous light, and cheaper than the Scout.

My 'favorite' lights are my little 3V Scouts (and the L4Mini copy), but on shorter carbines the X300 lets me run my support hand farther up, and make me feel more confident if I need to run it southpaw around a corner - something I'm more inclined to do on a shorter gun. Like I said - I'm no help here.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 08-11-13 at 23:48.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I called Surefire and was on hold for about 15 minutes before I got my RMA for my 952V. You may want to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I've ran a Fury on my rifle through different training programs on my department and have fired thousands of rounds without and degradation in any part of the light. I know trainers that run them on their personal rifles for classes and their loaner rifles for students whose guns go down during the class.

I have multiple X300's I've ran on rifles and thousands of rounds through a pistol. The only thing I've had happen to a light is the glass on the bezel came loose. The light still functions 100%, it's just not sealed and water tight any longer. That light now sits at home on a gun so it's not an issue being it's taken months to get any kind of RMA from Surefire.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One of the reasons I dislike my current light (TLR1) mounted behind my DD fixed sight is because of the difficulty in changing batteries. Anything that makes changing batteries out in the field easier is a big bonus, and the Scout would certainly have that advantage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    ...the glass on the bezel came loose. The light still functions 100%, it's just not sealed and water tight any longer. That light now sits at home on a gun so it's not an issue being it's taken months to get any kind of RMA from Surefire.
    Either something has changed drastically with Surefire's CS, or, with all due respect, you're doing something wrong. I had the same issue last year, got an RMA immediately when I called, sent my X300 in & had it back in about a week. They were even cool with me keeping it until I left for Canada for a week to send it in, so I wasn't without a weapon light while I was working.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I called Surefire and was on hold for about 15 minutes before I got my RMA for my 952V. You may want to try again.
    My problem is I'm usually at work when I remember to try calling and can't sit there on hold for that long. I got a RMA once but had to go out of town and forgot about it when I got back so it expired and they told me they were e-mailing me another one, which they never did. Guess my post sounds pretty bad on their part, it's partially me forgetting because it's not a high priority since the light sits around at home, and partially them not e-mailing me like they've said.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast